95 YJ violent shakes after 60+ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ violent shakes after 60+

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also check your trans and motor mounts. And I agree on the stabilizer, all it does is mask the bigger problem.

scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
djmanns
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update: I checked the rear driveshaft it's tight no fluids anywhere on tranny or transfer case. I checked front end hubs no wable. I didn't see anything in the steering that was loose. All in all she's 17 years old with 103K miles and in pretty good shape. I decided to put a regular bolt in the hole where the transmission torque bolt goes with just the top bushing on and torqued it down and went for a drive. I was able to get to about 63 MPH before I noticed any shaking. It was much less pronounced and more random. I was driving 65 to 70 and didn't have the vibrations hit a bump on the highway and the shakes started and it felt like it built on itself until I dropped below 60ish. Again back up to 65 to 70 and no or minimal shakes. The shakes have gone from holy crap am I going to die to moderately annoying. It's not nearly as violent as it was. But it's still there.
djmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
alexb7109
1988 YJ Wrangler 

your jeep goes 60?
alexb7109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
Billsbluejeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This still sounds like a drivetrain issue... shaft, SY, or something else... the fact that is got smaller when you added the trans stabilizer makes sense, since the vibration can't shake your trany as much.

...this still sounds very similar to a worn SY bushing... and I would do like some other people have suggested, and take the rear shaft off and drive it..... if the vibration goes away it's either the shaft, or the SY bushing. and the bushing is about a 65$ fix +2 hours of your time.

Let us know what you eventually figure out.
Billsbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
bilwaukee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to start by admitting I'm still new at a lot of this, but my 92 wrangler was going nuts on the highway if I hit a bump to the point where I almost lost control of it. All 4 shocks had blown and completely emptied themselves of fluid. Changing them out fixed it. I am working on the front end now and noticed the steering stabilizer had done the same thing, but it did not cause any issues on the highway at 70 for me. In fact, I didn't notice any driving issues with the stabilizer blown. As simple as it is, might be worth just disconnecting the shock and making sure you still have pressure in it.
bilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure your tires are balanced? A balancing weight may have popped off somewhere. I've had DW on two separate occasions and both were tire related and not drivetrain related. The first time I somehow knocked off my front tire weight which caused wobble at about 65-70ish mph. Not terrible but bad enough to cause alarm.

The second time was when my tires got so bald they could no longer balance them (I was young, just had a baby, and broke and couldn't shell out the $1200 for new tires at the time). After a while of driving them like this, they got so bad out of balance that from about 50-65 the shaking was so bad I was terrified that the Jeep would just rip itself apart. I could literally feel the front tires jumping off the ground. The weird part was that if I mashed the skinny pedal and burned through that window to 65mph or so, the shaking could be avoided...but if I had to slow down past 65mph...god help me lol.

Long and short, in my area tire balancing is free or really cheap and only takes about 30mins. Wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
NJPiney
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tire balancing fixed my DW also after inspecting the front end. The light bulb went off when I rotated tires and wobble went away.
NJPiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check your spring and shackle bushings. They might be shot.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe try putting your rear tires on the front. Cheap enough. See if your front ends shakes. You will feel that at lower speeds as well.

I thought I had fixed my shakes with a new stabilizer. Like canman said I only put a band aid on a pus filled wound.

Then when my tires got choppy I got new shocks. Yuup... pus has oozed out!

Tags
vibration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.