95 YJ violent shakes after 60+ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ violent shakes after 60+

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
djmanns
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ violent shakes after 60+

I'm running out of ideas. I drove my jeep home after purchase in 4th gear at 70 mph and didn't have any shakes. Since that time I have fixed 5th gear (AX5) marking the driveshafts to make sure they went back in the correct place. I replaced a destroyed front passenger side u-joint. I got everything back together and now have a shake that starts at 60 and intensifies up to 70 (too scared to go faster) no vibrations at any other speeds or RPMs. It's not 100% of the time but close. Today I was troubleshooting got to 65 and no shakes immediately but they starts by the time I was half mile down the road. It doesn't matter if it's in 4th, 5th, or neutral underpower or coasting at 60 + once it's shaking it get's worse till I drop below 60. I rotated the tires and checked the tire pressure and find it hard to believe tires went that far out of balance sitting in the garage on jack stands. I jacked the jeep back up and tried to make sure the hubs are tight. I did break the torque bolt on the tranny and have that on order. I did notice the skid plate is pretty rusted out and put bigger washers on the 2 tranny bolts. Any suggestions? The vibration is not in the steering wheel or the seat it's everywhere. Everything shakes.

Last edited by djmanns; 02-16-2012 at 08:52 PM..
djmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does it have a lift?
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
broken-wrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Front locker?

Try pulling the front driveline and go drive it around
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's obviously a factory speed governor. You're lucky you don't have a delorean, those governors are dangerous.
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
djmanns
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No lift. No lockers. 100% stock with 31 inch tires.
djmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanns View Post
No lift. No lockers. 100% stock with 31 inch tires.
The steering stabalizer could be shot, is it still factory?
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
The steering stabalizer could be shot, is it still factory?
That's my guess...

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its not the stabilizer. Many people incorrectly diagnose this as bad when they get shimmy/death wobble. It is never the root cause.

You have something loose in the steering or your suspension.

Could be bad TREs, ball joints, hubs, or suspension bushings. Could also be that your ubolts are loose or some are broken.

You're going to have to go through all of these things and check they are tight and functioning properly.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
Its not the stabilizer. Many people incorrectly diagnose this as bad when they get shimmy/death wobble. It is never the root cause.

Could be bad TREs, ball joints, hubs, or suspension bushings. Could also be that your ubolts are loose or some are broken.

You're going to have to go through all of these things and check they are tight and functioning properly.
That too, I'd also take the tires off and take them to a tire shop and see if the tires are out of round. Are the tires oldish?
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
hulkedjeep86
2007 JK Wrangler 

i had the same thing happen on my jk 07 wrangler , steering stablizer was shot so replace it and abousoultey no shakes or wobbling
hulkedjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Billsbluejeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds exactly like what my 92 used to do... get to ~60mph and the whole thing would start shaking... It's probably the Extension Bushing on your slip yoke... It shakes because the bushing is worn and so it lets the drive shaft move ever so slightly in the SY, and since no drive shaft is 100% perfectly balanced, when you get up to higher speed (60-65 seems to be the magic #) your drive shaft shakes just like an out of balance tire.

One of the easy signs of the bushing being bad is leaking transfer case fluid out the SY...so it sprays all over the underside, look and see if yours is leaking, that might be a good clue (although I guess it's possible for the bushing to be bad and the seal be ok). And also, chock your wheels, take it out of gear, crawl under and shake the drive shaft... there shouldn't be any movement of the shaft that goes into the slip yoke, if there is, then that tells you the bushing is bad also.

The part I'm talking about is #32 on this diagram, http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...del_231.php#32 ...but I found it easier to replace #31, the housing extension, since it comes with the bushing already pressed in. You will also need the seal (#30) and a tube or RTV sealant... that's it.

I fixed mine in about 2 hours last summer, and it's been smooth ever since... and it stopped my oil leak to
Billsbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkedjeep86
i had the same thing happen on my jk 07 wrangler , steering stablizer was shot so replace it and abousoultey no shakes or wobbling
You didn't fix the problem. You applied a band aid.

A properly functioning suspension and steering setup does not need a steering stabilizer to prevent wobble. Its there to soak up a little of the feedback you get from variations in the road not loose or sloppy steering/suspension components.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
Billsbluejeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkedjeep86 View Post
I would argue against this... his problem is speed dependent, which means it's something that increases it's movement as the speed increases, but is independent of engine speed or what gear it's in... so it's something like a axle, tire, or drive shaft. Even if you had a bad steering stabilizer, that wouldn't be the "cause" of a shake, since the stabilizer doesn't move... you need something that moves to be out of balance to cause a shake.

Don't take this the wrong way... I just don't think that's his problem.
Billsbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Op, Remember:
1. Shaking felt predominantly through the steering wheel SUGGESTS front end cause of vibration.
2. Shaking/vibrating felt predominantly through the drivers seat against your rump signals vibration coming from rear axle.

Recommended Troubleshooting for FRONT END vibration:
1. Pull front driveshaft and test drive, if vibes are still present... continue below.

2. Pull the rear driveshaft (cover the end of transfercase output cone with a cut soda bottle of you don't have a SYE to prevent loss of tcase fluid). Drive with just front driveshaft.
NOTE: If removing either driveshaft fixes the problem, you have found the grimlin. If testing w/o driveshaft(s) produces no change, then proceed.

3. Check for bad hub/unit/wheel bearing: (jack up front tire and check for ANY play towards/away from vehicle in the tire)

4. Check for play in front axle shaft ujoints (unlikely if you still have a functioning vacuum central axle disconnect), .

5. If your axle shaft ujoints check out, the hubs check out, move on to ballpoint and tie rod inspection. Basically, see if any play is present in the baljoints when trying to wobble suspended tire by hand. If any play is detected in the ball joints they must be changed. You can also check for play while having someone visually monitor the balljoints while turning on flat dry pavement, this will put great strain on the joints and any play should be noticable when turning from 0 MPH.

NOTE: You need to isolate the problem area before we talk solutions. But if driveshaft angles are correct (or if you are not lifted) then the problem is in the front in (my guess).
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
You didn't fix the problem. You applied a band aid.

A properly functioning suspension and steering setup does not need a steering stabilizer to prevent wobble. Its there to soak up a little of the feedback you get from variations in the road not loose or sloppy steering/suspension components.
X2, the problem lies somewhere else, its not the stabilizer.
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.