95 YJ transmission problem, need help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Blakemise
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ transmission problem, need help!

Ok so i have a 95 YJ 2.5 with 150000 miles on it that i've owned for almost 2 years now. I do wheel it and have fun but i also take pretty good care of it. Recently 5th gear has went out and i pulled the transmission to find I had broke almost all of the teeth off of 5th. Not wanting to pay for an expensive rebuild nor a re-man from an auto parts store i found a nice AX5 with only 50000 miles on it. Went ahead and put a new clutch and flywheel in, then after re-assembling everything, it won't shift into gear. In neutral, it will center the shifter and let me pull it towards me (as if i was going to shift into 1st-2nd) but it wont let me push it away (as if i was going to sift into 5th/reverse) and it will not go into any gear period. I bumped the starter a few times with the clutch in and out and couldn't feel it wanting to drop in and i'm a little nervous to just crank it up and see what happens. Could it be bound between two gears? Do i have to crank it up to let the vaccum lines create a suction? I'm not sure, so i'm hoping someone else will know more than me. Thanks in advance!

And also, no i did not try to shift through all the gears before i put the new one in.. yea i know, stupid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. What history do you have on that replacement you installed besides it had low miles on it? It seems hard to believe that it could have spun a synchro at that low mileage. Did it have any lube in it that you drained and looked at? Did it have any chunks of either brass or metal? When you installed the shifter did you get the little nylon knob on the end of the shifter into the little cup on the shift shaft? Did the transmission turn any by hand before you installed it, etc?

Your old tranny, you can repair the damage you described by only pulling off the rear case half, pull off 5th and counter 5th, and replace those parts and be good to go, could even do this without pulling the transmission out of the Jeep to do that. Writeup in the FAQ under 5th gear snap ring replacement.

Adding in--with engine off, can you range thru gears, but you cannot with it running? Or you just can't get it into any gear no matter what? There is nothing in this "letting vacuum build up" you were mentioning. Sorry your post had to get 100 views before a comment.

More edit--AX 5 5th gear writeup

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Blakemise
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the shaft would turn by hand before installed, i have no other history of the new tranny other than it came from Colorado. Yes the little nylon knob was on the shifter and i did get it in the little cup, and it had no fluids when it arrived (had to be shipped) and i filled it with 75w 90. Thanks for replying!

post #4 of 10 Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It does sound good that the shaft turned by hand before install, but do you know whether or not the input shaft turned independently of the output shaft? Or were they locked together so to speak, as if it were engaged in a gear? We need to figure out if your transmission is in neutral. The shifter position may be in neutral, but is the TRANSMISSION in neutral internally??

If your transmission is stuck in between gears as it may seem, it wouldn't be good to try to start the engine up and let the clutch pedal up..........Do this first, with Jeep in "neutral" at least where you think it is in neutral: rock the Jeep back and forth by pushing your Jeep and see if your Jeep rolls freely. If it does not roll, then you're not in neutral. T-case engaged, like in 2HI of course. If you have yet to reinstall your T case, then move on to the next step, or try this--put a channel lock on the output shaft of the tranny, with someone pushing down the clutch pedal, and see if you can turn the output shaft freely.
I understand you are able to move the shifter Left-Right thru the neutral gate, but it doesn't want to go all the way to the right. Either this is a problem with the 2 shift detents and more likely the right side one, or a shift gate problem. These are the two (22mm head) spring loaded bolts, one on either side of the rear case just below the shift tower. You can pull these out and depress the plunger ball by hand to make sure that the balls press in. You should remove the shifter boot, the sheetmetal plate in your tunnel and the shift tower so you can do this work from above. I do not feel the problem is in the shift detents though, I feel that your shift rods are out of line so that you cannot move the shift selector. Go to post #4, Photo #7, 8 and 9 in THIS THREAD It is for the AX 15 shift shafts, but you will find these pictures and the description above it to be helpful. The shift arm must range between these 3 pieces on the end of the shift rails. I feel that in shipment (highly more likely if it was shipped with the shifter in place) one of these got knocked out of alignment just enough to engage the interlock pins and balls so that is stuck. With the shift tower off, you will be able to see the shift arm from above, and whether or not the 3 arms are aligned as in my photos mentioned above. You should be able to re-align these so that the shift arm will range freely thru the 3 of them. Re-assemble and you should be good.
It wouldn't hurt to read thru the thread I linked above so you can understand how these shift shafts work in a transmission.

Editing--yeah, so I edit a lot.....sometimes, transmissions are shipped in a "locked" position, you can get a screwdriver into the oil fill hole and move the shift rail to unlock it. If this came from a transmission dealer, this could be the case. At any rate, either of these techniques could unlock it. You could consider calling the person/shop that sold you this and ask if it was "locked" for shipping.

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Blakemise
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! I will start troubleshooting this afternoon and get back as soon as i can with the results. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Blakemise
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well from the top of the shift tower you can't really see much nor move much around. Through the oil fill plug hole I could feel the shift rod for 5th/reverse and by referring to my old tranny, I could tell the metal peice on the end, that the shift selector moves through, was slid back telling me it was either in reverse or halfway between neutral and reverse. My old tranny had what seemed to be a useless Allen key plug, very similar sive to the draw hole plug spaced about and inch farther back on the case for which, what I assume, was intended for sticking a screwdriver and poping that shift rail back to neutral. Unfortunately my new ax-5 does not have a plug there and rather just a hole with no head. So that means it's coming back off, at least the transfer case and rear cover of the tranny. Which by the way, can I use rtv to re-seal the case after I'm done aligning it? Again, thanks in advance for the help!!
post #7 of 10 Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Take the reverse light switch off & use a flat blade screwdriver to make sure that the transmission is not caught in reverse. You'll see a little angled ramp on the shift rail that passes by the hole for the switch, that's what operates the switch. When that rail moves forward, the transmission is shifted into reverse. Try sliding the rail rearward to disengage reverse.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't yank that pig off again until you try a few times to change gear thru the fill hole, etc. Here is a picture that shows you the reverse ramp Mean Max is referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakemise View Post
Well from the top of the shift tower you can't really see much nor move much around.
You have to yank off the shifter tower to see down in there to any extent. Remove the 4 bolts and the tower will come off. And yes, RTV the case halves back together, but I'm really thinking you won't have to do that.

AX15 on the bottom--you can see a lot thru that port when you yank off the shift tower.

Forgot to ask--when you turn your ignition to the ON position, are your reverse lights on??

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Green95ss
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Raising a thread from the dead: I have the same problem--brand new tranny (AX15) shipped to me last week and installed last weekend. Everything went back together great, bled the clutch, and the damned shifter won't move. I put it into 4 low and let the clutch out and the YJ moved forward, not reverse...
post #10 of 10 Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Green95ss
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The tranny builder told me to do the same thing thru the reverse light switch hole. I was actually able to duplicate the issue on my old tranny and fix it thru the hole as well. Haven't had the same luck with the new tranny yet...

Tags
ax5 , jeep yj , transmission problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.