95 YJ stretch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ stretch

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
hondacr21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ stretch

well I guess it is about that time to put some XJ springs in the rear and stretch it some, and had a few questions. I have an 8.8 in the rear and I know the gas tank gets in the way of the axle and seen Genrights tank and skid plate for about 7-800 dollars which I refuse to buy, I seen a guy on Pirate that heated the stock tank and fabbed alittle on the stock skid plate and made it work and worked well I suppose and first handers on doing this. Also been looking around on which company to get comp corners from. Is there any real difference other than a preferred name? I will have to extend my rear wrap bar and driveshaft of course. I am just goin to weld new rear spring hangers on my rear bumper. Is there a company that sells the swing hangers with bushings that weld on, I am sure that is some type of universal 2.5" spring hangers out there. And I read that you add another main leaf in the xj packs I believe. What else am I missing?

1995 Sahara, Borla header, Rear stretch 103" wheelbase, Sniper Fab Comp Corners with 3" flare, SOA with .75" SL, 2 1/2" Rancho lift on 37"s MTR's on 15x8 eagle alloys. JB4x4 steering bracket, M.O.R.E., 8.8 with limited slip and 4.10's, AA SYE, modified XJ front driveshaft, Superwinch EPi 9.0, homemade boatsides, 6 point cage.
hondacr21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Blue Torch Fab makes a rear stretch kit specifically for use with XJ leafs.

Blue Torch FabWorks, Inc.

I was yacking with one of my wheeling friends, Blaine (mrblaine here on JF & part owner of Savvy Offroad Savvy Off-Road ) on the phone a couple weeks ago & asked him some questions concerning upcoming products.

Savvy was working on some new YJ rear corner blanks. Feel free to call Blaine or Gerald at Savvy for more info.

Office (949) 795-0909
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used Ruffstuff specialties way back shackle hanger.
Way Back Shackle Hanger [0690070] - $46.00
Measure your spring bushings before you order. The XJ spring with the bushing in it is a little wider than the YJ.
Read this post on Pirate.
Shackle problem? - YJ's with XJ springs - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
I cut my rear crossmember off and made one out of heavy wall 2x4. I used this post to make it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...member-442274/
I had a MORE traction bar that I tried to extend but it did not work out, I ended up making my own.
For the gas tank I used a RCI that fits behind the seat and used the stock fuel pump and sending unit. I also sank it down in the tub so I could build a tool box above it.
I also cut my spring perches off to adjust my pinion angle. Not sure if you will have to do this or not. The biggest reason I did it was because I was running shims and wanted to get rid of them.
Also relocated the upper shock mounts.
I used Sniper fabs rear corners because my fenders had been cut for TJ flares and I could not cut out the rear of the tub and make it look right.
This was not a weekend project. Well not for me at least.
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
hondacr21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what was the problem with trying to extend the MORE bar because that is what I have. as far axle perches I will just buy another set of Blue Torch Fab's. What as the reasoning for making a new rear crossmember or did you just feel like doing it? Do you have any pics of your YJ?
1995 Sahara, Borla header, Rear stretch 103" wheelbase, Sniper Fab Comp Corners with 3" flare, SOA with .75" SL, 2 1/2" Rancho lift on 37"s MTR's on 15x8 eagle alloys. JB4x4 steering bracket, M.O.R.E., 8.8 with limited slip and 4.10's, AA SYE, modified XJ front driveshaft, Superwinch EPi 9.0, homemade boatsides, 6 point cage.
Unread 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wanted the rear cross member to be a little more beefy. Also needed tow points.
I just did not trust the traction bar. You may be able to do a better job than I did.
I also added a separate mount for the traction bar. I had it mounted to the stock skid before.
I did a belly up so I could not mount it there again.
Oh and for the added main leaf I bought new springs and used a old set for the added main spring. Cut the small end off, cut a little off of the big end. Just enough to slip the big end over the small end of the pack I was using.
I also had to drill a new hole in it for the leaf spring bolt.
Some pictures. Sorry do not have alot. Can take more on Tuesday if you need more.
I put my shackle mounts high on the rear cross member so I did not get any lift from it.

Before corners

After
Unread 11-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
hondacr21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

looks bad ***, where did you get your new springs? And I assume they are just replacements not lift springs?
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

JC Whittney stock XJ springs.
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Wild Hare
1991 YJ Wrangler 

depends if you are axle over or axle under. axle under and you yeild enough lift to not actually hit the tank at full stuff. however, a big hammer beating on the skid will clearance it enough if need be. the plastic tank will flex enough with no work.
Wild Hare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
hondacr21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Hare View Post
depends if you are axle over or axle under. axle under and you yeild enough lift to not actually hit the tank at full stuff. however, a big hammer beating on the skid will clearance it enough if need be. the plastic tank will flex enough with no work.
it is and will be SOA, and i have an 8.8 so i figured it will eat the tank skid plate.
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

use a fuel cell that fits behind the rear seat

my 6" stretch: I just cut the spring hangers off the frame and moved them back 6" and used the same springs.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

its funny you mention the thread on bending the stock tank. everyone thought it was really original including the poster. i did mine a couple years prior. i used a torch and small sledge hammer. it takes a bit of work but you can heat the tank until it gets flexible. you still need to weld in a "reversed" insert into the tank skid. even with the indent formed into the tank when you fill it, the gas will push it back out so the steel piece will keep this from happening. with that said i dont think you can make a big enough indent to accommodate such a large stretch. i did mine to stretch 2".
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
hondacr21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I used Ruffstuff specialties way back shackle hanger.
Way Back Shackle Hanger [0690070] - $46.00
Measure your spring bushings before you order. The XJ spring with the bushing in it is a little wider than the YJ.
Read this post on Pirate.
Shackle problem? - YJ's with XJ springs - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
I cut my rear crossmember off and made one out of heavy wall 2x4. I used this post to make it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...member-442274/
I had a MORE traction bar that I tried to extend but it did not work out, I ended up making my own.
For the gas tank I used a RCI that fits behind the seat and used the stock fuel pump and sending unit. I also sank it down in the tub so I could build a tool box above it.
I also cut my spring perches off to adjust my pinion angle. Not sure if you will have to do this or not. The biggest reason I did it was because I was running shims and wanted to get rid of them.
Also relocated the upper shock mounts.
I used Sniper fabs rear corners because my fenders had been cut for TJ flares and I could not cut out the rear of the tub and make it look right.
This was not a weekend project. Well not for me at least.
Do you have any pics of the fuel cell mounted, I am kinda curious on how you did it.
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I do have to tell you though, I do miss the rear storage area behind the seat.... I know it was not a lot to begin with but.... I will just have to make a rack on my tire carrier when I get around to fixing that.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used the RCI cell. It is the same one Plato2k5 has pictured.
Cut out the rear floor and ran fuel lines.

Made a cross member that is welded to the frame the back is welded to the rear crossmember. There is a plate that is attached to the two that holds the fuel cell in place. This picture is before the rear stretch. The plate is not connected on the rear crossmember at this time.

Cut a hole in the fuel cell for the stock pump and sending unit.

In place

This is why I sank it down. Tool box
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As you can see from the last picture that cell is held down with straps. There is also a rubber mat under it and in between the straps and cell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.