95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #61
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Now I am in a position to actually type something instead of using my cell. The question becomes if you have a control side issue or a power side issue to the starter.
The clicking you described is the starter relay in the PDC pulling in. When you say it is clicking the question is does it stay pulled in as long as you have the key turned to the start position. Do you hear the click only when you turn the key and release the key? A continuous click while the key is turned indicates a control issue.

Your starter relay pulls power through fuse 6 in the PDC to get power to the relay contact at pin 30. Pin 87 of the relay(all the relays for that matter) is the output to the load. In your case the starter. When you are having the issue, take a short piece of wire and jumper across the relay from 30 to 87. This exactly what the relay does when energized so don't be afraid of doing anything wrong. Your starter should crank over. If it doesn't then take the lead from the battery positive and connect it to pin 87. You are really close to figuring it out. Let me know what you find.

Without going back through a million posts is it an auto or manual? You need to fill out the profile as best you can for a refrence.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #62
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Now I am in a position to actually type something instead of using my cell. The question becomes if you have a control side issue or a power side issue to the starter.
The clicking you described is the starter relay in the PDC pulling in. When you say it is clicking the question is does it stay pulled in as long as you have the key turned to the start position. Do you hear the click only when you turn the key and release the key? A continuous click while the key is turned indicates a control issue.

Your starter relay pulls power through fuse 6 in the PDC to get power to the relay contact at pin 30. Pin 87 of the relay(all the relays for that matter) is the output to the load. In your case the starter. When you are having the issue, take a short piece of wire and jumper across the relay from 30 to 87. This exactly what the relay does when energized so don't be afraid of doing anything wrong. Your starter should crank over. If it doesn't then take the lead from the battery positive and connect it to pin 87. You are really close to figuring it out. Let me know what you find.

Without going back through a million posts is it an auto or manual? You need to fill out the profile as best you can for a refrence.
The clicking on the relay would happen for about 5 seconds after I tried to start the Jeep. I will try the wire trick and tell you what happens. Also the jeep is a Manual 4.0L 6Cyl.
Razorback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #63
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it's the starter relay making the noise?
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #64
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
The clicking on the relay would happen for about 5 seconds after I tried to start the Jeep. I will try the wire trick and tell you what happens. Also the jeep is a Manual 4.0L 6Cyl.
That sound like the ASDS relay shouting off. If the computer dosn't see CPS or KPS trigers for about 5sec it will shut off the ASDS and the fuel pump relay.
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #65
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think it is the starter relay making the noise either. That is why I am asking. You are close to figuring it out Razorback. If it fires up consistently with the jumper then The issue is control side and a problem from the ignition switch to 85/86 on the relay. If it doesn't then it is from Fuse 6 to 30/87 of the relay.
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #66
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was working on it last night and I think there is a short somewhere. When I turn the key and it clicks the gauges go crazy! The oil pressure gauge goes to 80 and it reads a full tank of gas. Also the tachometer starts bouncing around. Im also looking for the clutch safety switch and neutral safety switch. Where would those be? Also would it have anything to do with the ignition, Thanks! Also, if there was a short where should I be looking?
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #67
dauster500
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My TJ gauges did that when the battery was dead
dauster500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #68
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got it fixed guys! Thanks for all the help. I had to take it to a mechanic, here is what was wrong. First off when I replaced my positive cable the idiots at the parts store gave me 10 gauge instead of 4. So it wasn't carrying enough power to the starter. Second there where some wires shorting out in the fuse box. They resoldered them back together and now everything's good. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Razorback23; 05-23-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #69
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, good news there Razorback23! Glad it has been resolved.
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #70
wcorp87370
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
I got it fixed guys! Thanks for all the help. I had to take it to a mechanic, here is what was wrong. First off when I replaced my positive cable the idiots at the parts store gave me 10 gauge instead of 4. So it wasn't carrying enough power to the starter. Second there where some wires shorting out in the fuse box. They resoldered them back together and now everything's good. Thanks for all the help.
So, How much did you spend all together? new parts, unnecessary parts, mechanic, etc. I'm doing an exchange of starter tonight. I bought a $65 starter today at Bennett Auto Supply with lifetime warranty plus $50 core charge. Hopefully I will not be dealing with your issues. Mine is 94 YJ 6 cyl
wcorp87370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #71
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what wires were bad?

Tags
1995 , problem , starter , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.