95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #46
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went and picked up the supplies to rebuild the positive connection. I will put it together tomorrow and let everyone know what happened! Any suggestions on cutting and stripping a 4 gauge wire?

Razorback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #47
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

If all else fails the caveman approach will work.

A sharp chisel and a big hammer to cut the cable. Razor blade/knife to trim back the insulation.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #48
dauster500
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Im not sure but couldnt it be the ignition coils or fuel pump? I had a friend with a no start issue on an xj made the same sound and it was his coils
dauster500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #49
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If it cranked but didn't start it could be the coil or fuel pump. But his isn't even cranking

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I put on the new positive cable that I ended up having made at a local auto parts store. I hooked it all up and the same clicking was still happening. I decided to push it down my driveway and pop the clutch to start it because it had sat for about 2 weeks and it need to be ran. So I drove it around for about 1 hour. When I got home I parked it and decided to try and start it back up. It finally started up, this is the first time. It dragged while doing though. Then I started it and it turned over like normal. I then let it cool down for about and hour and then started it again and it turned over like normal, all good. I'm not sure if I need to replace the battery or just leave it alone and see what happens. Maybe it just need to be ran to get everything flowing, this is the first time the new starter I installed has actually done its job! What do you guys think? I hope it's fixed!
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #51
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I hope it's fixed for you too, sounds like it's OK now. I was speaking to one guy who said he took his starter off and stripped it down to clean it and when he put it back together it was like new. I've cleaned the solenoid and mine now actually clicks, but I will be cleaning the starter to see if that helps.
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #52
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If your positive cable had a bad connection it is possible your battery has not been charging properly. So driving it with the new cable has charged the battery up and now it all works.

Tony, I had to replace the carbon brushes in my starter as they were worn down to the stage where they didn't touch the stator. Bought them online for $7 as opposed to $100 for a new starter! Small package easy to ship in.
NeilBedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #53
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'll look into that Neil. I will try cleaning the internals first and see how that goes and if not, then I'll order in the brushes. Do you have the link for the store you bought them from?

Cheers
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #54
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

When you take the cap off the starter it is fairly obvious if you need new brushes....they don't touch the stator!

http://www.shopjeepparts.com/starter...5_943_949.html
NeilBedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #55
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you may have found the problem BUT did you repair/replace the ground cable(s)? Also if you can't drive it for a while put a trickle charger on it to keep the battery "topped up". I have found that once you have a fully charged battery a product called a "Battery Tender" will keep it changed and it has a quick connect system that you leave on the battery making it a "plug-and-play" system.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #56
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to keep highjacking your thread mate, but I took the starter off today (Took ten minutes) then removed the casing and cleaned the internals. Put everything back together and BOOM!!! Fired right up!!! I think I will need need brushes soon though as all but one were almost worn to the bone!
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
akh21849

Watched your video.... wow can't believe some of the replies given.... definitly a power problem most likely a connection.... start with those part store replacement terminals... either take them apart and clean them starting with the location where the cables are stripped then move to the connection itself(on both terminals) There is nothing wrong with the after market terminals they just need cleaning more often. If the starter is clicking like this then power is making it to the starter indicating that everything is working properly, but you're starter isn't getting the required voltage.... relays either work or they don't. In 25yrs I have never had a relay only half way work and only one starter(new/reman) have a defect. I did watch your video.... and good job on the sound, that made the diff. in giving a good diagnosis. If you have anymore Q's you can email akh21849@yahoo.com .... I only signed up to see if this kid fixed his problem
akh21849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #58
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Came home from school today and checked and made sure the jeep would start. I went to start it up and nothing happened, only this strange clicking noise from the fuse box under the hood. So I took the lid off of it and the relay for the starter was acting weird. I took it out and put it back in and the jeep started but it was dragging REALLY bad. It finally started and I let it run for about 10 minutes and turned it off. I tried starting it again and it went back to the same clicking as before! This is getting really frustrating, I wish it was something other than electrical. I guess the relay is bad, I took out the AC relay and put it in the starter slot and still the same problem. Whats going on!
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #59
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
Came home from school today and checked and made sure the jeep would start. I went to start it up and nothing happened, only this strange clicking noise from the fuse box under the hood. So I took the lid off of it and the relay for the starter was acting weird. I took it out and put it back in and the jeep started but it was dragging REALLY bad. It finally started and I let it run for about 10 minutes and turned it off. I tried starting it again and it went back to the same clicking as before! This is getting really frustrating, I wish it was something other than electrical. I guess the relay is bad, I took out the AC relay and put it in the starter slot and still the same problem. Whats going on!
Sounds like you may have found the problem BUT did you repair/replace the ground cable(s)? This is just as important and the positive cable.

Also if you can't drive it for a while put a trickle charger on it to keep the battery "topped up".
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #60
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is what you need to try. The next time it doesn't want to start pull the starter relay. There are 5 sockets for the relay. With the jeep in neutral and the key on take a 12 gauge wire and jumper pin 30 to 87. It is the contacts the relay makes when you are starting it. Post back what happens.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1995 , problem , starter , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.