95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #31
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd start by changing them terminals. They look pretty rough. I would like to know how you get on as I am having a similar problem.
I took off the solenoid last week and cleaned it off a little (plus the little cylindrical thingy inside) and it got a healthier click, but then it wen't to nothing again. I'm guessing mine is a solenoid, bt nobody sells the solenoidn seperately over here so I think I may have ot order one from the states. CRAP!

Unread 05-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #32
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a set of jump leads?

The sound you can hear is usually caused by the starter not getting enough juice to turn the engine over - the solenoid rattles. If the starter was turning without the solenoid working you would know!

So......

Use them to connect the positive on the battery to the positive on the solenoid. If it starts you know you have a faulty connection. What you have done is replace the built in cable with your jumper cable.

If it doesn't start connect the positive on the battery to the positive on the starter - this will spin the starter motor. If it turns over then you have a bad solenoid. This is unlikely as you have just swapped the starter motor assembly.

Alternativly leave the jumper cable connected from the battery positive to the solenoid positive and stick a screw driver between that connection and the other side of the solenoid. The engine should turn over so make sure you are in neutral.

If it doesn't start then connect the negative on the battery to a ground on the starter. If it starts you have a bad ground somewhere.

All we are doing above is isolating the faulty connection. The battery positive connects to the starter solenoid that connects to the starter positive when you turn the ignition key. The starter is grounded through the mounting bolts. So if you have a bad possitive connection you don't get enough amps to turn the engine over.
A good test of your battery is to turn the lights on and then try to start the car. If the lights go out you have a bad battery or bad connection. The lights should just dim a little if everything is OK.

@Tony - ship it in from the US when you have Sharjah not too far up the road and all the scrap yards there!

Last edited by NeilBedwin; 05-13-2012 at 02:43 AM..
NeilBedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #33
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Neil, I have tried most scrap yard i abu dhabi that have compatible starters/solenoids and nobody wants to sell them seperate. I haven't had a chance to get down to Sharjah for a long time but may do that if I can't get it to work any other way.

Cheers
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #34
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, 33 replies and what would be a 30 minute fix.

What works best ?
A. Nice clean tight connections ?
B. Nice clean tight connections with cables that are not 17 years old and have corrosion even under the outer jacket of insulation
C. Nice clean tight connections with cables that are not 17 years old and have corrosion even under the outer jacket of insulation and bright and shiny battery terminals
D. Nice clean tight connections with cables that are not 17 years old and have corrosion even under the outer jacket of insulation and bright and shiny battery terminals. Plus nice clean connection where the cable connects to the corresponding starter lug/ground point.
E. None of the above. I`ll just stay on top of a hill.

Next threads will be.

A. How big of a hill do I need to start my Jeep. Can JF help me ?

B. My xxx broke from repeatedly running down a hill and popping the clutch to start the engine. Then I hit a small furry animal cause I had no brakes and the steering wheel was too hard to turn `cause the engine was not running.

C. Which is better ? Walmart, Sears, Kmart, or Pep Boyz for major repair work like an air filter change ?

D. My strobe light is out of sync with my sub-woofer. How can I adjust it ?

So like you know basically you hear me bro ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #35
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Any luck? I am surprised you are finding any Jeeps in the scrap yard in UAE!
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #36
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bad connection period
snail81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #37
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail81
Bad connection period
Might be a cable. Might be the connector. Might be where the cable connects to the terminal. It is not the starter or solenoid. The problem is that the starter is not getting enough juice to start. I've had this happen a few times. You just have to clean everything
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #38
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will try cleaning off the plugs around the battery terminal. As you see in the earlier picture they are pretty rough. Any recommendations on how to clean the terminal plugs, such as chemicals or a wire brush. From reading all these posts im guessing it is a connection with the positive cable. I don't think it is the ground but I will clean it anyway! Also is there anywhere I can get the cables replaced at?
Razorback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #39
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy new cables for probably 8 bucks. But it is a connection problem. Also baking soda with water will clean corrosion
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #40
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
I will try cleaning off the plugs around the battery terminal. As you see in the earlier picture they are pretty rough. Any recommendations on how to clean the terminal plugs, such as chemicals or a wire brush. From reading all these posts im guessing it is a connection with the positive cable. I don't think it is the ground but I will clean it anyway! Also is there anywhere I can get the cables replaced at?
Your questions are in the top 5 most frequently asked questions on JF.

Go to a search engine and type in a few key words. Try

Cleaning battery terminals
Jeep Wrangler replacement battery cables
Battery cables and corrosion
Battery cables and starting problems

At your level of expertise do not assume you know whether your ground cable is good or bad. It is bad.

It has taken longer to type this out then it would have been to fix the problem once and for all.

Last edited by FPKites; 05-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Don't avoid the language filter
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #41
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Your questions are in the top 5 most frequently asked questions on JF.

Go to a search engine and type in a few key words. Try

Cleaning battery terminals
Jeep Wrangler replacement battery cables
Battery cables and corrosion
Battery cables and starting problems

At your level of expertise do not assume you know whether your ground cable is good or bad. It is bad.

It has taken longer to type this out then it would have been to fix the problem once and for all.
Thanks I guess. This is my very first jeep I have owned and the first vehicle I have owned. Never in my life have I went through this or anything similar. Everyone on here has been very humble until you came along! Plus I'm on a highschooler's budget some I'm doing the best I can with what I can. Thank You

Last edited by FPKites; 05-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Let's leave it be - no avoiding the language filter
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #42
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
Thanks I guess. This is my very first jeep I have owned and the first vehicle I have owned. Never in my life have I went through this or anything similar. Everyone on here has been very humble until you came along! Plus I'm on a highschooler's budget some I'm doing the best I can with what I can. Thank You
Like I said I don`t mean to be a dick but your problem is so common.....and not just with Jeeps.........That there are pages and pages of information out there.

You seem like a pretty smart guy. You did ID the cables and connections but failed to take it to the next step. A bunch of us simply kicked you in the butt to get you to go to the next step. My kick was just a little harder, that`s all.

Clean and replace and report back on your success.

You might want to check Mom and Dads vehicles and clean there stuff up also. Sooner or later they will have problems if the vehicle gets a few years on it.
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #43
dauster500
1987 YJ Wrangler 

just replace the starter
dauster500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster500 View Post
just replace the starter
I have but Im now going to replace the connection because mine are pretty worn!
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster500 View Post
just replace the starter
Ya know Eric. It`s stupid comments like yours that often makes JF look like a losers paradise. Give the man hard factual information rather then assumptions and simplistic nonsense.

Even a few key words to search with if you don`t know for sure or don`t want to dive all the way in and help.

The OP did a good job of explaining his problem. Provided video and pictures. Took it to several commercial outlets and even blew a bunch of cash. Along the way he ID-ed a potential issue and turned to JF for help.

Then you come along with a smart-aleck comment that does nothing but downgrade this site and your intelligence.

Tags
1995 , problem , starter , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.