95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can test a solenoid....

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you can jumper using the screwdriver trick or use jumper cables to get it going then there is nothing wrong with the starter. Like SuperJ saod, clean the wires going to the starter. There is another trick to see if you have an ignition issue and so you can be under the hood when you are trying to see what is going on with the starter. In the PDC under the hood you have a starter relay. Make sure the Jeep is out of gear. Remove the relay and jumper pin 30 to 87 on the relay and it is just like turning the ignition switch.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean all the high current wires to the starter, battery and chasis; that includes the grounds. Clean the connectors on the starter. Also, the battery can read 12Vdc and not be worth a darn. I wouldn't trust Wallmart to properly load test a battery. Like it has been suggest, if you jump it and it starts every time then it is more then likely a bad connection or a bad battery.
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
do the tests man, i have replaced mine three time now in two weeks and two solenoids and it appears they weren;t entirely the problem. twice, the starter was for sure bad and the parts place said you can't test a solenoid so i think i bought another for nothing but after some more in depth checking, mine seems to be an ignition switch and a neutral safety switch. do the checks the guys tell you, especially the loose wires and cleaning hte connections. wire brushing my connections got mine running the first time i had starter trouble
How do you check the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch. This is my first time having this problem. I have wire brushed my connections though but i didn't help.
Razorback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
If you can jumper using the screwdriver trick or use jumper cables to get it going then there is nothing wrong with the starter. Like SuperJ saod, clean the wires going to the starter. There is another trick to see if you have an ignition issue and so you can be under the hood when you are trying to see what is going on with the starter. In the PDC under the hood you have a starter relay. Make sure the Jeep is out of gear. Remove the relay and jumper pin 30 to 87 on the relay and it is just like turning the ignition switch.
I've heard of the screwdriver trick but I don't know how to do it. Could you tell me? Also I have got it started many times by having it roll down a hill while in 2nd and popping the clutch. Does that mean anything? Thanks for the help!
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I got my Jeep started and it was a bad ground at the solenoid. The bolts holding tithe solenoid to the block were not getting a good connection. Once I took them out and cleaned the bolts and holes, my Jeep started right up
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
I got my Jeep started and it was a bad ground at the solenoid. The bolts holding tithe solenoid to the block were not getting a good connection. Once I took them out and cleaned the bolts and holes, my Jeep started right up
Whats was yours doing before you cleaned them off?
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, have you jump started it from another car/truck/jeep yet?
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
I have popped the clutch while rolling down a hill and took it for a drive. The volts stay good the whole time. Also I'm not sure how to jump the starter can you explain a little better?
Sorry I didnt see your post there till just now. The way I prefer is hook jumper cables up to the battery take the other end and hook up the negative to the starter's negative terminal. Then touch the positive to the starters positive terminal. If that doesnt work and you know the battery is good that would mean the starter is bad. If that works shut it back off and go to the starter selinoid. Use a screw drive to bridge the positive from the battery to the positive out to the starter if it works the selenoid is bad if it doesnt the starter is bad. But you have to be %200 sure the battery is good. Hook a multimetter to the battery set to volts. IIRC 12.6 means it has a full charge and all cells are putting out power. Or before you crawl under there use the jumper cables to try to jump start it from another car. Poping the clutch while rolling takes the starter and starting circut out of the equation. You do not want to do that you want to test different parts of the starting circut to find out where the breakdown is.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are you having any luck? Did you use the jumper cables and jumper power directly to the starter.
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #26
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

And mine would turn on the lights and radio but nothing as far as starting. No click, no nothing
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #27
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went to autozone today and got a new starter. I went home and put it in. THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED! I thought maybe it didn't have much power because it has been sitting for about two weeks. So I stuck it on the charger for about 3-4 hours and came back, same thing is happening. Tomorrow I am going to put the battery from the truck in it to see if that is the problem. I had the battery tested before I did any of this and Walmart said it was fine. Any more suggestions?
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
Jeep43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replace your battery and make sure you tighten down that negative terminal. In the video you just set it on the post and sometimes that doesn't let enough current pass through the cables.
Jeep43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #29
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't trust walmart eithier

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #30
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got the volt meter out today and did many tests. First I tested the battery and the starter with out turning on the jeep. Both the starter and battery read 12.7 volts. I tried to turn the Jeep on and still the same clicking, even after putting in the new starter. I then tested the starter's volts while getting power during ignition. I took the positive on the starter off, then hook the volt meter up to the positive and grounded the negative to the case of the starter like the manual recommended. I started the Jeep and the starter's volts dropped to 11.3 volts. The manual for the starter says that at minimum it requires 12.1 volts. Then i tested the battery during ignition and it dropped to about 12.3 volts but then went back up to 12.7 volts. So I am guessing the problem is the connection going down from the positive on the battery to the positive on the starter. The plugs that go around the battery terminals are pretty beat up and I think this is the problem. Below are a couple of pictures of the terminals, like I said they look pretty bad. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you to everyone that is helping me on this!
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  

Tags
1995 , problem , starter , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.