95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP

I have recently encountered a problem with the starter on my 1995 Wrangler. I have taken it to auto zone to get tested, it passed the test they put it through twice. I also have had the battery checked by Walmart and it was good. I know it isn't the alternator because my gauge reads 12 volts when i turn on the key. When I go to start the Jeep all I heard is A LOT of clicking and it will never turn over. Please help this has been going on for about two weeks! I made a youtube video to show the problem a little easier!

1995 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 6cyl

Razorback23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
jdanthony
1986 CJ7 

Sounds like its not attached to anything and it's just spinning
jdanthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try looking at your ground cables. The one going to the motor is probley lose.
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tested the battery? Also make sure the connections on the battery/ cables are clean.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
Have you tested the battery? Also make sure the connections on the battery/ cables are clean.
It says he had wal mart test the battery

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you had the battery load tested? Also without the alternator spinning you cant know if it is good or bad. It doesnt come in to play however until the engine is running. Have you tried jumping the starter. Try hooking jumper cables to the battery and connect the other end to the starter and see if it starts that way.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
I have recently encountered a problem with the starter on my 1995 Wrangler. I have taken it to auto zone to get tested, it passed the test they put it through twice. I also have had the battery checked by Walmart and it was good. I know it isn't the alternator because my gauge reads 12 volts when i turn on the key. When I go to start the Jeep all I heard is A LOT of clicking and it will never turn over. Please help this has been going on for about two weeks! I made a youtube video to show the problem a little easier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWgyu9JulU

1995 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 6cyl
That's your solenoid ratcheting cause you don't have enough juice .
tighten up that neg cable , way too loose if your wiggling it on like that .
then put a jump start on the battery and try to start it . If it starts , the battery is your problem , if it doesnt , turn your key to the on position and stick a big screwdriver between the 2 posts on your solenoid .it should start for sure then , unless the 95's use a fender mount relay AND solenoid like the 4.2's .but i don't see one anywhere in the vid .
good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk

That's your solenoid ratcheting cause you don't have enough juice .
tighten up that neg cable , way too loose if your wiggling it on like that .
then put a jump start on the battery and try to start it . If it starts , the battery is your problem , if it doesnt , turn your key to the on position and stick a big screwdriver between the 2 posts on your solenoid .it should start for sure then , unless the 95's use a fender mount relay AND solenoid like the 4.2's .but i don't see one anywhere in the vid .
good luck
I'll try that. I have popped the clutch going down a hill and got it started. If the screwdriver method works does that mean I need a new starter?
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283
Have you had the battery load tested? Also without the alternator spinning you cant know if it is good or bad. It doesnt come in to play however until the engine is running. Have you tried jumping the starter. Try hooking jumper cables to the battery and connect the other end to the starter and see if it starts that way.
I have popped the clutch while rolling down a hill and took it for a drive. The volts stay good the whole time. Also I'm not sure how to jump the starter can you explain a little better?
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanthony
Sounds like its not attached to anything and it's just spinning
That's what I thought. It sounds like the bendix on the starter isn't meeting up with the flywheel to turn over the engine. How would I fix that problem?
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK from what I heard in the video and like the others have said, the starter is not engaging the flywheel, could be a bad solenoid. I would remove all of your cables and clean and re-attach them and like was said, be sure to check the ground on the engine block.

BTW just because your meter in the dash reads 12VDC it might be wrong. Put a VOM on the battery to see exactly what you have for voltage. Then turn on the ignition and see if the voltage changes. And just because it has 12VDC doesn't mean that it has enough of a charge to start the engine.

Next I would jump start it from another vehicle, if it starts that way without any problems you could have a low charge in the battery, charge it up and see what happens. If it does not start I would think that the solenoid is bad.

Let us know.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So Razorback23, did you figure it out?
What was the problem?
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
So Razorback23, did you figure it out?
What was the problem?
I asked my local auto parts store and they said that the starter can still pass the test but when put under a load it still won't work. So I guess the best thing to do is to buy a new one.
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
I asked my local auto parts store and they said that the starter can still pass the test but when put under a load it still won't work. So I guess the best thing to do is to buy a new one.
Did you try jump starting it first? If it starts that way you can just about be sure the battery is the problem. Keep us informed.
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

do the tests man, i have replaced mine three time now in two weeks and two solenoids and it appears they weren;t entirely the problem. twice, the starter was for sure bad and the parts place said you can't test a solenoid so i think i bought another for nothing but after some more in depth checking, mine seems to be an ignition switch and a neutral safety switch. do the checks the guys tell you, especially the loose wires and cleaning hte connections. wire brushing my connections got mine running the first time i had starter trouble

Tags
1995 , problem , starter , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.