JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/95-yj-starter-problems-help-1364788/)

Razorback23 05-03-2012 09:08 PM

95 YJ Starter Problems! HELP

I have recently encountered a problem with the starter on my 1995 Wrangler. I have taken it to auto zone to get tested, it passed the test they put it through twice. I also have had the battery checked by Walmart and it was good. I know it isn't the alternator because my gauge reads 12 volts when i turn on the key. When I go to start the Jeep all I heard is A LOT of clicking and it will never turn over. Please help this has been going on for about two weeks! I made a youtube video to show the problem a little easier!

1995 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 6cyl

jdanthony 05-03-2012 09:56 PM

Sounds like its not attached to anything and it's just spinning

lclark2074 05-03-2012 11:33 PM

Try looking at your ground cables. The one going to the motor is probley lose.

youngjeepr 05-03-2012 11:35 PM

Have you tested the battery? Also make sure the connections on the battery/ cables are clean.

Siva283 05-04-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngjeepr (Post 13514366)
Have you tested the battery? Also make sure the connections on the battery/ cables are clean.

It says he had wal mart test the battery

Siva283 05-04-2012 06:54 AM

Have you had the battery load tested? Also without the alternator spinning you cant know if it is good or bad. It doesnt come in to play however until the engine is running. Have you tried jumping the starter. Try hooking jumper cables to the battery and connect the other end to the starter and see if it starts that way.

yzjwk 05-04-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorback23 (Post 13513801)
I have recently encountered a problem with the starter on my 1995 Wrangler. I have taken it to auto zone to get tested, it passed the test they put it through twice. I also have had the battery checked by Walmart and it was good. I know it isn't the alternator because my gauge reads 12 volts when i turn on the key. When I go to start the Jeep all I heard is A LOT of clicking and it will never turn over. Please help this has been going on for about two weeks! I made a youtube video to show the problem a little easier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWgyu9JulU

1995 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 6cyl

That's your solenoid ratcheting cause you don't have enough juice .
tighten up that neg cable , way too loose if your wiggling it on like that .
then put a jump start on the battery and try to start it . If it starts , the battery is your problem , if it doesnt , turn your key to the on position and stick a big screwdriver between the 2 posts on your solenoid .it should start for sure then , unless the 95's use a fender mount relay AND solenoid like the 4.2's .but i don't see one anywhere in the vid .
good luck

Razorback23 05-04-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yzjwk

That's your solenoid ratcheting cause you don't have enough juice .
tighten up that neg cable , way too loose if your wiggling it on like that .
then put a jump start on the battery and try to start it . If it starts , the battery is your problem , if it doesnt , turn your key to the on position and stick a big screwdriver between the 2 posts on your solenoid .it should start for sure then , unless the 95's use a fender mount relay AND solenoid like the 4.2's .but i don't see one anywhere in the vid .
good luck

I'll try that. I have popped the clutch going down a hill and got it started. If the screwdriver method works does that mean I need a new starter?

Razorback23 05-04-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siva283
Have you had the battery load tested? Also without the alternator spinning you cant know if it is good or bad. It doesnt come in to play however until the engine is running. Have you tried jumping the starter. Try hooking jumper cables to the battery and connect the other end to the starter and see if it starts that way.

I have popped the clutch while rolling down a hill and took it for a drive. The volts stay good the whole time. Also I'm not sure how to jump the starter can you explain a little better?

Razorback23 05-04-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdanthony
Sounds like its not attached to anything and it's just spinning

That's what I thought. It sounds like the bendix on the starter isn't meeting up with the flywheel to turn over the engine. How would I fix that problem?

jeff_in_rc 05-04-2012 03:15 PM

OK from what I heard in the video and like the others have said, the starter is not engaging the flywheel, could be a bad solenoid. I would remove all of your cables and clean and re-attach them and like was said, be sure to check the ground on the engine block.

BTW just because your meter in the dash reads 12VDC it might be wrong. Put a VOM on the battery to see exactly what you have for voltage. Then turn on the ignition and see if the voltage changes. And just because it has 12VDC doesn't mean that it has enough of a charge to start the engine.

Next I would jump start it from another vehicle, if it starts that way without any problems you could have a low charge in the battery, charge it up and see what happens. If it does not start I would think that the solenoid is bad.

Let us know.

jeff_in_rc 05-07-2012 05:13 PM

So Razorback23, did you figure it out?
What was the problem?

Razorback23 05-08-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
So Razorback23, did you figure it out?
What was the problem?

I asked my local auto parts store and they said that the starter can still pass the test but when put under a load it still won't work. So I guess the best thing to do is to buy a new one.

jeff_in_rc 05-08-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorback23 (Post 13537007)
I asked my local auto parts store and they said that the starter can still pass the test but when put under a load it still won't work. So I guess the best thing to do is to buy a new one.

Did you try jump starting it first? If it starts that way you can just about be sure the battery is the problem. Keep us informed.

superj 05-08-2012 04:28 PM

do the tests man, i have replaced mine three time now in two weeks and two solenoids and it appears they weren;t entirely the problem. twice, the starter was for sure bad and the parts place said you can't test a solenoid so i think i bought another for nothing but after some more in depth checking, mine seems to be an ignition switch and a neutral safety switch. do the checks the guys tell you, especially the loose wires and cleaning hte connections. wire brushing my connections got mine running the first time i had starter trouble

The time now is 08:03 PM.