95 YJ Stalls while driving - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Langerdoo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ Stalls while driving

Jeep starts right up. Started driving down the road and it just stalls out. Thought bc it wasn't warmed up. Since it's a manual trans it jump starts back up and bucks bc it stalls and jump starts itself when I'm driving. If I put the clutch in or shift to neutral sometimes it just stalls out. It starts right back up and sometimes can go miles before it might cut out again. There is no pattern to when it might happen. Fuel pump seems ok. The one thing I did notice is that the distributor shakes as if the entire unit is loose but when the engine is off I can't move it. It also feels very hot to the touch under the cap on the assembly. Any other possibilities?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 06:37 AM
SADROK

I'd check the crankshaft position sensor. Sometimes they stick open or closed and kill the engine.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Langerdoo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Will do thx!

post #4 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Richard_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your codes
post #5 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Langerdoo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95's don't have an ODB. How do you check the codes on a 95 YJ?
post #6 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerdoo View Post
95's don't have an ODB. How do you check the codes on a 95 YJ?
Key dance, count the flashes.

Search the YJ Tech FAQs.

Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Langerdoo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How many times on/off for key dance?
post #8 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...54/#post682627

Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Langerdoo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thx Max!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeep starts right up. Started driving down the road and it just stalls out. Thought bc it wasn't warmed up. Since it's a manual trans it jump starts back up and bucks bc it stalls and jump starts itself when I'm driving. If I put the clutch in or shift to neutral sometimes it just stalls out. It starts right back up and sometimes can go miles before it might cut out again. There is no pattern to when it might happen. Fuel pump seems ok. The one thing I did notice is that the distributor shakes as if the entire unit is loose but when the engine is off I can't move it. It also feels very hot to the touch under the cap on the assembly. Any other possibilities?
The distributor is not supposed to move. Any movement of the whole unit could be because the hold down bolt has loosened up or the distributor shaft bushings are shot.

The only moving part you should see is if you remove the distributor cap and someone else attempts to start the engine. The rotor should turn along with the center shaft of the distributor.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #11 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

The distributor is not supposed to move. Any movement of the whole unit could be because the hold down bolt has loosened up or the distributor shaft bushings are shot.

The only moving part you should see is if you remove the distributor cap and someone else attempts to start the engine. The rotor should turn along with the center shaft of the distributor.
Agreed! Start looking here.

While the distributor cap is off, use a 3/4" wrench to rotate the crankshaft pulley forward & backwards while watching the rotor for movement. Excessive play in the timing chain may not be your issue, but it sure is easy to check anytime the cap is off!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

post #12 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Langerdoo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All good ideas. I'll check them all. I'll let you know what it turns out to be.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Langerdoo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK I think we found the problem. Bought a new crankshaft position sensor $88. Not the problem. After installing it the jeep stalled out 3 times in a row. Double checked distributor and that check out ok. Ran key dance to check error codes and nothing out of the ordinary. Vacuum hose on pump was fixed. Still nothing. Started to wiggle some of the wires just for the hell of it (running out of ideas) and when we got to the coil wire, after wiggling it the engine shut off. Took of the harness clip and attached the wires without it. The wires snap right in. Jeep ran fine. Put everything back together and took it for a 60 mile run. Didn't stall once.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
OK I think we found the problem. Bought a new crankshaft position sensor $88. Not the problem. After installing it the jeep stalled out 3 times in a row. Double checked distributor and that check out ok. Ran key dance to check error codes and nothing out of the ordinary. Vacuum hose on pump was fixed. Still nothing. Started to wiggle some of the wires just for the hell of it (running out of ideas) and when we got to the coil wire, after wiggling it the engine shut off. Took of the harness clip and attached the wires without it. The wires snap right in. Jeep ran fine. Put everything back together and took it for a 60 mile run. Didn't stall once.
And the lesson is...a big bad jeep can be brought to a grinding halt by one measly stinkin' loose wire! Good show finding your problem!

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....

Tags
1995 , distributor , jeep yj , stalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.