95' YJ rebuilt engine, runs like garbage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95' YJ rebuilt engine, runs like garbage

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
95YJw

95' YJ rebuilt engine, runs like garbage

I just replaced the tired 243 engine (with a broken piston skirt on #4) with a remanufactured engine over the weekend. Now I can't get it to run worth a darn. I can start it but the timing is "retarded" what looks to be about 15 degrees. If I move the distributor one gear over, it won't start at all. At first I thought it was missing and backfiring because the fuel had to bleed the air in the system but it doesn't seem to be smoothing out and I don't want to do any engine damage. I'm very tired at this point and I'm not sure I'm thinking 100%. Help would be appreciated. I've not found any loose wires or hoses that would not allow it to run like it has since I bought it new in 95.

95YJw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check the crank sensor? If it isn't in the exact right spot it will run like crap, and also check the wires to make sure they aren't pinched. Timing is controlled by the ecm so moving the distributor won't help if it was installed properly.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
95YJw

thanks for the suggestion, I will check the sensor location, I will also recheck the configuration of the distributor in relation to the #1 cylinder.
95YJw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How is the cam timing?

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Odie4az

Where did you get the remanufactured engine? I'm looking into that also....
Odie4az is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

this has not been mentioned yet but are the plug wires in the proper location ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.