95' YJ mods. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95' YJ mods.

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-04-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
boyd

95' YJ mods.

Great forum and lots of good advice. I am new here and in need of some experienced advice. I was thinking about replacing the exhaust manifold on my 95 jeep wrangler 4 cyl. with an aftermarket borla header. Has anyone done this. After talking with 2 mechanics they STRONGLY advised me not to do so as it would be more trouble than it is worth. They said that I would be back every 6 months or so to replace the gasket and that the mounting botls wouldn't stay tightened thus causing more leaks, also the gains wouldn't be that significant. Any comments on this? Also does anyone know where I can find a computer chip for a 4 cyl.

Thanks in advance

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:01 PM   #2
Nine5YJ

Hey-

not sure about the exhaust... but i do know that they dont make computer chips for the 4Cyl 2.5L
Unread 04-04-2002, 04:12 PM   #3
boyd

Thanks for the input. I have another question. Alot of people on here have put a 4.0L throttle body on. Will any 4.0L work or just the OEM Throttle body. turbocity.com has a modified TB for both the 2.5L and the 4.0L for the same price. Should I stick with the Mod. 2.5L or go with the Mod. 4.0L or will I get better performance with the OEM 4.0L.

Just looking for more power to pull me up the hills.

Thanks
Unread 04-04-2002, 05:03 PM   #4
JeepBeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Now I don't know about this turbocity modified TB, but your better off getting one off of a junker for much less money. Yes a 4.0L TB will fit your 2.5 intake. While your at it grab a Poweraid TB spacer, maximize your intake, along w/ your borla exhaust you'll be porting some serious air through your lil engine. I've got the TB and Spacer on my jeep and let me tell you, for the tires I have it really helps with the initial pick up and go. Also get yourself a K&N Filter and remove the restrictors from inside your Air Box. Let me know how the exhaust helps out.

'95 YJ 2.5L 3" Sus.
ProComp MT 33s"
JeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2002, 05:10 PM   #5
AllanAlxndr

Will the throttle body swap work for my '90 2.5L?
Thanks for the help
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #6
Bigrubberjeep

Is your 90YJ Fuel Injected (EFI)in each cylinder or is it Trotle Body Injected? My 89 is Trotle body Injected aka (TBI)
Unread 04-04-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A buddy and I installed a Borla header on his 2.5L YJ. A real pain in the butt. As is all exhaust work. But once it was done (like over 3 years ago) it was done and has never needed any kind of attention. I have a Borla header on my 4.0 and have never had any issues with it either.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2002, 10:35 PM   #8
AllanAlxndr

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Bigrubberjeep:
<strong>Is your 90YJ Fuel Injected (EFI)in each cylinder or is it Trotle Body Injected? My 89 is Trotle body Injected aka (TBI)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I also believe that mine is TBI
Does this mean No, I can not do the swap...
Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2002, 11:49 AM   #9
clarky711
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 97 TJ, and I replaced the exhaust manifold. It wasn't too hard, a little pain in the butt, but it lasted fine for the 6 months I had it after the install. Also, I have a 94 YJ, and I removed the first restrictor in the airbox, but I have heard from a couple people that there is two restrictors?? I only found one. Thanks.

Mike

Previously: 01 TJ on 32s, 94 YJ on 33s, 89 xj on 31s, 97 TJ on 31s, 79 CJ5 on 31s.

http://www.AdirondackJeeps.com
clarky711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2002, 12:43 PM   #10
JeepBeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

clark, If you remove the intake house from the top of the air filter box and look inside the box top there is one, the other is down in the front of the lower portion of the box, near the headlight and the power steering fluid. Lower one is easy to remove, just get at it from the inside, the restrictor on the top of the box was a little pain.

'95 YJ 2.5L 3" Sus.
ProComp MT 33s"
JeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2002, 03:58 PM   #11
boyd

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by JeepBeep:
<strong>clark, If you remove the intake house from the top of the air filter box and look inside the box top there is one, the other is down in the front of the lower portion of the box, near the headlight and the power steering fluid. Lower one is easy to remove, just get at it from the inside, the restrictor on the top of the box was a little pain.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What purpose do these restrictors serve?
Unread 04-10-2002, 01:10 PM   #12
gtflyer

i inquired with quadratec about a Borla header for my 95 wrangler & said it will help significantly with performance,but turned me on to the gale bannk header they will be carrying..they said,it is a good if not better than the Borla & will be less $..just an option for you
gtflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.