95 YJ Lost its (electrical) mind! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ Lost its (electrical) mind!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
CanajunEh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ Lost its (electrical) mind!

Went to start my jeep this morning. Turned the key and absolutely no response. Checked, no lights left on, dome light off, flashers off, doors all closed...

I grabbed the booster cables figuring I could boost it off my wife's car. As soon as I attached the cable to the jeep, the interior lights and the 4-way lights started flashing. The other end of the booster cables weren't even connected to the 2nd vehicle.

I then hopped into the jeep to see if it would start and it turned over, but would not catch/start. The interior (dome and dashboard) and 4 ways lights keep flashing on and off - even with the keys removed.

I disconnected the battery and rented another vehicle for the day.

Anyone have any ideas?

CanajunEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would say clean your battery connections. I am guessing that when you attached the cables, it was enough to "sorta" make contact. That would make your lights blink on and off. I am assuming it was a random blinking with no rhythm like an alarm system or anything of that sort..........
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
CanajunEh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I would say clean your battery connections. I am guessing that when you attached the cables, it was enough to "sorta" make contact. That would make your lights blink on and off. I am assuming it was a random blinking with no rhythm like an alarm system or anything of that sort..........
The lights are flashing in a very regular rythm, but I don't have an alarm on a 1995 Jeep

Will try cleaning the connections and maybe replacing the battery terminal cables....the battery itself is obviously(?) fine with the amount of power being cracnked out when I try and start it.
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also check the power cable from the battery to the PCM connections.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
CanajunEh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Stuck at work, so I can't try any of these out for another 3.5 hours

If Anyone else has anything, fire it along. I'll try anything to avoid a mechanicsville trip...
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
jmmorgan82

I had a similar issue and the clamps I have for my battery cables had come loose.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
CanajunEh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cleaned Posts, replaced terminal cables, popped out/checked and reseated all the relays and fuses. Still nothing.

Went out the next morning. Worked great.... The joys of jeep ownership. I guess it just wanted the weekend off.

Thanks for your help all!
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
EDDLG01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Has you check the fuses, there is a fuse on the engine corpartment bejing the relay towards the driver side that controls your dome lights and the current to the inside fuse bloock, is that fuse is out it will not let the jeep crank on, also there is one fuse inside that control the inside lights and will not let the fuel pump run... check the fuses..
EDDLG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use the jumper cable to bridge the wire from the battery negative to the chasis and see if it makes a difference. Do the same with battery positive to the PDC. Check for corrosion on the battery wires to the PDC and for the ground wire as well.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.