95 YJ Interior Door Handle Replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ Interior Door Handle Replacement

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
jshumberg

Best solution (I think)

First time I replaced the interior door handle took me 4 hours. Second time 15 minutes. Here's how I did it:
1) remove screw holding interior door handle mechanism onto the door.
2) pull outside door handle open and stuff a rag under it to hold the door latch open. This moves the latch rod forward at least 1 inch and gives you more finger room.
3) pull the inside latch mechanism out and tilt it downward so that you can remove the top retainer with your fingers. You may be able to push a long skinny object between the clip and the rod to pop the clip loose. I used a long small screw driver while I pulled on the clip with my finger. Remove the top clip first because that allows you to pull the mechanism out even farther to remove the bottom clip.

4) on the new door handle remove the top plastic retainer clip to get it out of the way. Do this by pinching the bottom of the clip with pliers to make it small enough to pull the retainer clip out of the mechanism. This gives you another inch of finger room.

5) you can now use your fingers and hold your mouth just right while you maneuver the bottom rod into the bottom clip of the new door latch. I used needle nose pliers to clamp the clip in place on the rod after I finagled the rod downward into the latch.

6) put the top plastic clip back into the mechanism by just pressing it into the hole it came out of.

7) tilt the mechanism downward while you place the top rod into the clip. Push the clip onto the rod with your fingers.

Note: removing the inside door panel is no benefit. (At least on my '93 it was no help. I removed it the first time, it was a waste of time.) The mechanism with the red colored clips goes on the driver's side - green clips, passenger side. I don't know if it matters but the first time I bought the cheapest door latch handle I could find. This time I bought the most expensive one I could find. I hope it doesn't break.

jshumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #17
Richard_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYDE001 View Post
great ifo there , the inner and outer latches decided to stop working today , hopefully its an easy fix , or will be tearing the doors apart
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door , handle , interior , panel , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.