JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   95 YJ Interior Door Handle Replacement (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/95-yj-interior-door-handle-replacement-1163380/)

kiddevo 02-04-2011 08:11 AM

95 YJ Interior Door Handle Replacement

95 Wrangler Rio Grande

Interior door handle snapped off! I got a replacement part, but something tells me I will need to be walked through the process of repairing. How hard of a job is this? Does the interior panel have to come off, and if so, how do you do this?

Also if the panel has to come off to hook up new handle, how does it sit flush on the outside of the panel? Does that happen when you screw it down?

Does anyone have details (pics would be great) on:
- Removing the panel
- Installing new handle/lock

THANKS!

schaef89 02-04-2011 08:54 AM

Firstly, Full or half doors? The screw is the only thing holding the handle to the door. There are metal rods connecting the outside paddle handle to this running through the inside of the door. The rods connect to plastic pins that go into holes on the backside of the interior handle. If it is a full door, you'll have two rods, and the half door has one depending if you have locks or not (my half doors don't lock).

You have to take the screw out and mess around with the linkage to get the new handle on. It's a pain and takes some patience. It took me the better part of an hour to replace mine (the mounting screw was rusted in).

Best advise is use wd40 if the bolt looks rough and be gentle. Once the handle is loose you'll see white plastic clips that hold the rods to the black handle lever (backside of the handle). I took the white plastic "pin" out of the black plastic level arm with some finesse and a screwdriver. From there I replaced the handle and then, with some more finesse, put the white pins back in the black level arm for the handle.

Hopefully I explained it good enough for you to follow. Just be patient and you'll get it. It's a very tight spot to work.

GRYDE001 02-04-2011 09:01 AM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...2/index67.html

start at post 996

kiddevo 02-04-2011 09:03 AM

Thanks. It is a full door. So are you saying you were able to do it without removing the interior panel? That would be great! :)

Does anyone have pictures?

kiddevo 02-12-2011 12:04 PM

Thanks!

Thanks just got back in the house. On paper an easy fix.... In real life... .PITA.... But got it done! My '95 and I thank you...:cheers2:

stevedude19 11-18-2011 03:18 PM

Anyone know of any inner door handles that are metal? This will be the third time the passenger side needs replacing due to plastic braking. Could be partially cause I don't have bushings for my doors. And thoughts? Anyone ever make their own?

Matt The Hammer 11-18-2011 08:35 PM

The little white clips that attach the end of the rod to the handle are sold by themselves. You can find them in the parts store in the Help section. I forget what they sell as (maybe a GM door part) but they are sold in a blister pack of 4 for about 5 bucks.

Make sure your rods are not binding up. Those nylon sleeves help too.

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum

scubamc 11-19-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedude19 (Post 12528862)
Anyone know of any inner door handles that are metal?

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=DHA4000

stevedude19 11-19-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubamc (Post 12532389)

im taking about the actual handle to open the door

jay1335 11-19-2011 02:37 PM

I wish I could find these too!!! I just bought new plastic crap cheap ones and man do they suck!! The thing was brand new and it broke!!! I had to drill parts of it out and use screws to reinforce it. Someone has to make something better than these. I may try and take my Cherokee ones off as they are metal and see if they can be modified to fit.

Matt The Hammer 11-21-2011 08:06 AM

You shouldn't need to pull on the interior levers that hard to open the door. Look into re-greasing the latch mechanism so it opens easier. There are some spots in there that are metal on metal and can get filled with some grime.

The mechanism is the latch at the door pin/striker. You'll need to remove the vinyl interior panel, then get into the latch mechanism. If I recall, there is an access plate screwed onto the door. I'm going from memory, sorry.

I've been there snapping the junk plastic handles. Check to make sure that the latch operates easily and the rods aren't catching each other or something else.

I used grease and some narrow stcks to get it worked into the latch. Remember that WD-40 isn't a lubricant. Also make sure that the latch and the pin are lined up right and not off centered. This will also make opening the door harder - thus causing you to pull the lever with too much force.

Knock on wood, my current interior handles are a few years old now. Before I re-lubed the latch, I was destroying them on a weekly basis.

jay1335 11-21-2011 08:15 PM

I just rebuilt my doors and they work like butter!! But I have to say these door handles are really cheap. Someone out there has to make a better set.

stevedude19 11-22-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer (Post 12541459)
You shouldn't need to pull on the interior levers that hard to open the door. Look into re-greasing the latch mechanism so it opens easier. There are some spots in there that are metal on metal and can get filled with some grime.

The mechanism is the latch at the door pin/striker. You'll need to remove the vinyl interior panel, then get into the latch mechanism. If I recall, there is an access plate screwed onto the door. I'm going from memory, sorry.

I've been there snapping the junk plastic handles. Check to make sure that the latch operates easily and the rods aren't catching each other or something else.

I used grease and some narrow stcks to get it worked into the latch. Remember that WD-40 isn't a lubricant. Also make sure that the latch and the pin are lined up right and not off centered. This will also make opening the door harder - thus causing you to pull the lever with too much force.

Knock on wood, my current interior handles are a few years old now. Before I re-lubed the latch, I was destroying them on a weekly basis.

Well once my bushings for my door hinges get here I'm hoping my door line up perfect. I had got some from eBay once but they didn't fit

Pierce718 03-12-2012 10:30 PM

95 wrangler yj inside door parts

i have full doors on my jeep, and when i bought it, all of the inside parts of the door were all screwed up. does anyone know where to get those parts. like the metal rod and latch and the plastic pieces for the handles??

alexs93 03-11-2013 09:21 AM

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but on a half door for a Yj does anyone know the bolt/screw size for the interior handle? Not the lever to open the door, but the pull handle to make closing the door easier. Thanks.

The time now is 10:26 AM.