95 yj grinding in all gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 yj grinding in all gears

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Coloradoyj1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 yj grinding in all gears

Hey guys,
i have a 95 yj with the ax-15 and a 4.0L that has 144k. Started feeling some odd moving parts feeling through the shifter going into third, soon after that she started grinding into all of the gears. Last time i started her she was even grinding in neutral, but when i engaged the clutch the grinding noise stopped. Clutch, throw out, and pilot bearing were all done 30k ago. So is this trans cashed or could i get lucky?
Thanks

Coloradoyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have you drained the tranny to see if any metal is floating around in there ?
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Two things clutch slave cylinder or tranny. You have an external slave so no issue to see if it is working and just needs to be bled or replaced. Tranny like above mentioned a drain and search for metal or brass from the synchros. You can filter the drained fluid through some cheesecloth cofee filters etc to see what residue is in the oil. That way you can make a somewhat good decision on what is wrong and how to repair.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.