'95 YJ Dies while idling and braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '95 YJ Dies while idling and braking

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
plsmocke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

'95 YJ Dies while idling and braking

Hello all, I recently got my first Jeep about 3 weeks ago. I traded my motorcycle for it knowing that it would probably need some bit of TLC. It runs perfect except every now and then when I'm making a turn or braking it will die; it doesn't have a slow decline in RPM's, it just dies. The same thing happens while leaving the Jeep sit and idle by itself. It will be fine for a couple minutes but eventually will die. It has a good sounding idle the entire time but just stops immediately. The things I have done so far after reading through a plethora of forums here:

-Replaced IAC
-Replaced MAP sensor
-Replaced TPS sensor
-Cleaned the Throttle Body inside and out
-Replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can try next besides taking it to a dealership? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

plsmocke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
plsmocke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh I forgot to mention some other things I replaced:

-Spark plugs
-Spark plug wires
-Distributor Cap
-Rotor
Unread 03-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check the vacume line that goes inbetween the brake booster and manifold.
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

when it is sitting there idling and dies, I assume it is in neutral?

I'd look at an intermittent CPS failure next. It is usually the culprit when the engine suddenly dies.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does your speedometer work alright? A speed sensor failure can cause your engine to stall and die when you slow down. The speed sensor is located in the tailhousing of your transfer case. Make sure the connector is good and that the hold-down clamp is secure. Just one of many possibilities.
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bet you have power steering. Post back if you do.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
plsmocke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the quick responses guys! I'll check that vacuum line tonight hopefully. Mike, it'll die when it's in nuetral or I have the clutch engaged and in gear. Yes, the speedometer works just fine and yes I have power steering. Once again, thanks guys.
Unread 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Power steering. You are having an issue with the load switch on your power steering. This post will show you where to look:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-hose-1214933/
Unread 03-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
plsmocke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why do you think the power steering is what is causing my issue? The post you reference doesn't explain what the symptoms are for a failing load switch.

Thanks
Unread 03-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't idle up under load. Turn your steering wheel. Does it idle up? Look at the switch.
Unread 03-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its the sudden engine cutting off at idle in neutral that would make me think it might not be power steering or a lack of power at idle. Although, he didn't say whether he was turning the wheel when it happened. I guess I assumed he was letting it sit there and doing nothing.

Definitely worth checking if it bogs when turning the wheel though.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
plsmocke
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You are right Mike, it happens even when I am standing outside of it. I've spent at least an hour walking around it while running, listening for any odd noises. But yes, it will happen even if the system is not under load, like turning the steering wheel. One thing I just read in my manual is that the e-brake light on the dash might effect how the computer handles the RPM's. As of now, I have the e-brake removed and the switch wire closed to ground (telling the computer the e-brake is activated). I was going to try that tonight as well. But I would assume the e-brake being activated would not factor into the equation when the jeep is just sitting there and not moving.
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetdjc320 View Post
Does your speedometer work alright? A speed sensor failure can cause your engine to stall and die when you slow down. The speed sensor is located in the tailhousing of your transfer case. Make sure the connector is good and that the hold-down clamp is secure. Just one of many possibilities.
Hate to bump this but thank you. This solved my stalling issue.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is usually stalls when coming to a stop when the speedo is bad. Thank you for posting it helped. Please give his post a thumbs up.
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did, thanks Que. I had the clip in the wrong quadrant.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
die , iac , idle , tps , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.