95 YJ dash lights and tail lights out! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ dash lights and tail lights out!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
hotzy21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ dash lights and tail lights out!

Hey all,

So recently while driving at night my dash lights and tail lights went out, but my front headlights are fine. A cop pulled me over, let me know that my tail lights were out, and told me to drive home with my hazards on. Well, that was a couple weeks ago, and now the hazards don't work either. The fuse for the dash lights is blown, and every time I replace it it blows a couple minutes later. Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm a bit of a nube, and I don't have the money to pay a shop $100/hr to figure out the wiring or whatever. I have a Chilton's manual for my jeep, and have been fairly successful at home mechanics, I just need some help to get started. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

hotzy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Easy to figure out. You are looking for a short. I would bet that one of the bulb sockets for the IP is shorting to ground or maybe the audio. Get under there and look around. Give the harnes a shake in different areas. There is the lightbulb method for figuring out the short. Look on youtube for using a lightbulb to locate a short. It will save you money on the fuses.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

a short or a exposed wire, a half burnt wire. may have to splice a new piece, use some electrical tape , a connector or solder. you can also use a compass and a magnet to find a short.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kd-Tools-KDS...item35bb1c0cc4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Probe-...e812df&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Probe-...item56477fe3e5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NOS-VINT...da056c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMOTIVE-C...item5adef6b1bd

any of these tools could be used. it should take no time to trace the wiring from the headlight to fuse box, and from the fuse box back to the tail lights. Dont rule out the possiblity of a exposed wire under the dash.
exp175.jpg   22001d1245431666-how-build-blu-ray-flashlight-butt_connector2.jpg  
Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Pnagle78

Hi
I have a 94 Jeep wrangler YJ and had exactly the same problem. Checked wiring, fuses etc but no luck.
I took the dashboard cover off and removed light switch and found that the parking light switch was not functioning.
I took it apart and noticed the copper contacts were not making proper contact.
I just gently re-bent the contacts so they all sat firmly down when they should.
It works now.
Hope this helps, it did for me.
Pnagle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
89wrangler258
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My 89 yj does the same thing blows fuses left and right. Finally got the dash lights to stay on. They flicker once in awhile. But now I have a tail light out on the passenger side. Put a brand new bulb in and its still out anyone have any ideas
89wrangler258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89wrangler258
My 89 yj does the same thing blows fuses left and right. Finally got the dash lights to stay on. They flicker once in awhile. But now I have a tail light out on the passenger side. Put a brand new bulb in and its still out anyone have any ideas
Check your grounds
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The light grounds through the screws. Clean the light assembly and mounting screws. Also that bulb is real easy to put in the wrong way. make sure it is in the socket right.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash , lights , tail , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.