95 YJ 4.0 with engine code 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 YJ 4.0 with engine code 27

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
cj786
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ 4.0 with engine code 27

Ok so I took my jeep off roadin in dubai. The it was An amazing experience.

But when I return and went to go get the jeep washed. All the car washes are done by someone else. Well I left the jeep running and when I came over I seem the guy washing the motor, I told him to stop an not to do that, well the jeep at some point died. When he was finished I tried cranking it up and it wouldn't. I waited about an hour then it fired up but after that I manually read the codes and the code I'm getting is 27, it runs but it's running really rough. Plugs and wires along with rotor cap and button replaced only a Month ago before this happen. I've tried to pull each connection for each injector while running and you can tell it changes when disconnecting each one. Now I'm stuck wondering where to look for the problem.

Any jeep experts out there with advice.

cj786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, pull and dry out the cam and crank sensor connectors. You need to look down inside the distributor and make sure it's dry. Disconnect the battery for a 10 count to clear the stored codes and you should be ok.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
cj786
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok que89yj, I will try this when I get back. And revert back to you.
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
cj786
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I want to update you on what I've done, not sure how it got fixed. I did a lot of test including compression check, check the voltage of the injectors. I left the ecu unplugged for a week. After plugging it up and doing a ecu reset, the light went away. Weird thing is I drove about 40km and hand washed the out side light came on again. I pulled over disconnected the battery and been driving it since. Over 200km.. What Could of cause this kind of issue.. Actually kind of scared to hand wash it ever.
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have an injector that has a bad onnection or is on it's way out. Try wiggling the wires to the injectors and see if problem repeats. You can try a new set of injectors with orings or pull them and try and clean them. You should go through all the connectors for everything under the hood and clean them and put dielectric grease to prevent water from getting up inside. My bet is that you got water inside the backshell for the ecu.
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
cj786
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe, man thanks for your advice and help. I'll go see if I can find this grease tomorrow, is it ok to put this grease in the ecu plug in?
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can and should put that grease on every connector. It seals the connector. Put it on the front and back on the ecu connector. You will need to take the shell off but it is really easy. Also all the connectors and that includes the bulkhead connector on the firewall. It will keep you out of trouble with water. The connectors are water resistant and with the dielectric grease you are good enough to water cross.
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
cj786
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes sir thNks.
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #9
cj786
1995 YJ Wrangler 

QUE89 I end up figuring this issue out. i want to explain what i did to fix it, incase someone else has a issue. So after many hours of trying different things. I was so tempted to buy a new ecu. What i later found out, it wasnt the ECU. What i did was unplug each fuel injector and lifted the fuel rail. I notice that number 3 was dirty with sand. Looking back that make sense why number 3 spark plug was being flooded out. so what i did was, i took a long paper towel. Folded it long ways and place it in between the intake and fuel rail. When i turned the key on for about 2 sec. i then switched it off and went to look at the paper towel. I then noticed that number 3 was dumping way to much fuel because 1-6 was a small perfect circle and number 3 was wetting the whole towel. So what i did was i took number 3 injector off to cleaned it, I then moved number 3 injector with number 1 injector spot, to see if i would still get this big fuel puddle on the towel. I repeated the steps with the towel. When i came back to look at the towel. It appeared that all circles from the fuel was the same size. I end up bolting it up like that and reset the ECU. I havent had an issue with it since then... It took a long while to figure this issue out but i did learn alot. Hope this will help someone.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting it. The injectors....the diagnostic were right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.