95 yj 2.5 overheating, im losing my mind please throw me a bone here - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 yj 2.5 overheating, im losing my mind please throw me a bone here

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
McGinnsta - there is a Cherokee (XJ) forum. You should check it out. Regardless, it's the same motor as the YJs (this forum). And most of us here also have or had Cherokees at one time.

The Jeep engines like back pressure to run right. So I'll suggest getting your cat and muffler back on as per original design. Get the O2 back in place and re-connect it.

PCMs die too often. That said, your studdering sounds like an issue with any of the engine control sensors. Are you getting the 'Check Engine' light on? If so, your Jeep is 'throwing codes' in the computer. These codes will tell you what the Jeep's computer has detected as an issue. You can have the codes read by someone with a code reader.

Chasing sensor issues can be treacherous. It's what us modern Jeep guys must do anymore. The days of just removing the un-needed stuff (like your exhaust) are over.

When you re-installed your cat and muffler and O2, did you reset the computer?

Bad gas? Change the filter and put new gas in.

Check fuel pressure on the fuel rail. You can search here how to do it easily and what pressure you should be getting.

Your issues are common. Don't sweat it. You'll get it fixed with help from this board.

Oh, and your Jeep is fuel injected, so pumping the gas pedal or even 'priming it' are useless. There's a fuel pump that pressurizes the fuel line once you give it power.
Missing and/or defective sensors can really mess with a modern vehicle as the computer will attempt to compensate for the lack failing and/or missing sensor, this alone can cause you some headaches.

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGinnsta View Post
Okay I don't know where to post my own problem so maybe if I reply I can get some answers from this thread. I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2 wheel, straight 6. Well only have had it for 4 months and man oh man is it a pain in my butt. After 2 days took it to Chrysler and it needed a PCM. Ok Ran great but had a flow master on it, no cat and o2 sensor wasnt hooked up. Get a new muffler new cat and hook up o2. @ weeks later starts stuttering, stalling after driving 5 to 10 miles and had to wait a min to start back up. Took to my macanic and the cat was broke up and melted like plastic. ok so muffler man puts new cat in and I ride out for a few min and its still doing it. After 2 weeks of that new cat it did the same thing so being Fl and no inspection got rid of the cat. Drove off fine for few miles and its stalling AGAIN! Well hard times I did run it out of gas. So I put few gallons in her prime it good and she wont start. So I wait because waiting always worked before. I try it again and pump that gas peedle like a crazy lady and it starts but back firing bad and stuttering, try it again and floor it back fires and smoke was pouring out the back like crazy. I shut it off because I thaught it was going to catch fire. I dunno, my macanics dont know but couldnt get a good test with out it acting up to test at that time. Well now he should be able to because I think she finally died. Any thoughts or ideas, anything please I can't tke much more and its my only transportation. Sincerely so confussed.
1) You probably need to start your own thread as not to Hi-jack this one.

2) When you start your new thread, please explain in detail what is currently going on when you attempt to start this Jeep... example, no crank, cranks but never fires or attempts to start... starts but sputters, etc...
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGinnsta View Post
Okay I don't know where to post my own problem so maybe if I reply I can get some answers from this thread. I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2 wheel, straight 6. Well only have had it for 4 months and man oh man is it a pain in my butt. After 2 days took it to Chrysler and it needed a PCM. Ok Ran great but had a flow master on it, no cat and o2 sensor wasnt hooked up. Get a new muffler new cat and hook up o2. @ weeks later starts stuttering, stalling after driving 5 to 10 miles and had to wait a min to start back up. Took to my macanic and the cat was broke up and melted like plastic. ok so muffler man puts new cat in and I ride out for a few min and its still doing it. After 2 weeks of that new cat it did the same thing so being Fl and no inspection got rid of the cat. Drove off fine for few miles and its stalling AGAIN! Well hard times I did run it out of gas. So I put few gallons in her prime it good and she wont start. So I wait because waiting always worked before. I try it again and pump that gas peedle like a crazy lady and it starts but back firing bad and stuttering, try it again and floor it back fires and smoke was pouring out the back like crazy. I shut it off because I thaught it was going to catch fire. I dunno, my macanics dont know but couldnt get a good test with out it acting up to test at that time. Well now he should be able to because I think she finally died. Any thoughts or ideas, anything please I can't tke much more and its my only transportation. Sincerely so confussed.
You also have an OBD2 set up. Us YJ guys have OBD1 so there are alot of differences in the electronics of the engine.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
mikesloudjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
220 is a little on the high side. You are right about the at speed thing. The fan should freewheel because you are moving so much air at speeds above 30. When you turn off the AC what temp does your Jeep run at?
Runs normal. 185 then a little over then when the thurmo cracks open it goes right back down.
mikesloudjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
mikesloudjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
You can see the cores if you pull the rad cap. Yes, it may be a 1 core rad. After putting all those bucks into the A/C, I'd pop the extra to get a decent aluminum 3 or 4 core rad replacement.
Hey man what am I looking for to see what core mine is. I've looked in there a bunch how do I know? The thickness or lines? Not trying to be a sum sum here. Thanks a bunch!
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Filled mine this morning. Took pictures:

Unread 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
mikesloudjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer
Filled mine this morning. Took pictures:
Not to be under knowledgeable here but mine looks the same. Is yours a one or two core?
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #23
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not 100% sure. Like I said, there was just one replacement model radiator offered. I think it's a two core looking in the cap.

Tags
a.c. , cooling , cooling issues , overheating , y.j. 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.