95 yj 2.5 overheating, im losing my mind please throw me a bone here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 yj 2.5 overheating, im losing my mind please throw me a bone here

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
mikesloudjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

95 yj 2.5 overheating, im losing my mind please throw me a bone here

Hey everyone. Hear me out here. I put a.c. in my jeep. I know I know but I live in Florida and it gets friggin hot. I put it in and had a coolant leak. Replaced the thurmo with a 185, while flushing the system twice and housing with all hoses. When I'm driving with the a.c. on it climbes up. I have to shut off the a.c. I believe the condensor is getting so hot it's bleeding into my radiator. Overheating the vehicle. This is my question. Does anyone know (No where in my manual's) if the stock 94 2.5 yj comes with a one core or a two core radiator? If it's a one core (2 cycle cooling if I'm wording this right) If it is im going with a bigger radiator and electric dual pull and push fans. I replaced the new a.c. kit from jeepair.com's expansion valve. The owner would'nt even tell me the part number to buy a new one. He did tell me he would warranty the part out but would not go any further. I'm beyone my mind at this point. I paid $1000 for the kit and $500 to put it in. Anyways the unit on a side note was as described. I'm not trying to clerify because I know better to do so on this forum there are great people on here. My question is the cooling of the vehicle in adding the a.c. It never overheated before the kit. Let me know everyone if you ever added the kit ect and had any problems. Thanks a bunch!

mikesloudjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have ac but from my experience in the past. It does sound like the ac comp. is putting to much pull on your 4 cylinder, and you will need to upgrade the radiator and probably the fan as well. My fear with only doing the fan is you are going to put that much more added pressure on the motor to run the fans as well.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you say it is getting hot, how how does it get? You don't need to spend a lot of money to get a push pull fan. There is a popular mod here for adding a Taurus electric fan to cool the beast. What temp does it climb up to?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
mikesloudjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
When you say it is getting hot, how how does it get? You don't need to spend a lot of money to get a push pull fan. There is a popular mod here for adding a Taurus electric fan to cool the beast. What temp does it climb up to?
Temp climbs to 220. My thermostat is a 185. This is as I'm driving at 50 ish at low rpm. I didn't do the fan thinking at speed it should be ok with the wind. I just did a expansion valve to because the high pressure side o f the evaporator was climbing on the new a.c.kit over 450 at idle. It was reading normal when i left the shop. First day driving it and hot again. Now its good i havnt used the a.c. since and when i tried to the compressor won't even come on.
mikesloudjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

220 is a little on the high side. You are right about the at speed thing. The fan should freewheel because you are moving so much air at speeds above 30. When you turn off the AC what temp does your Jeep run at?
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can see the cores if you pull the rad cap. Yes, it may be a 1 core rad. After putting all those bucks into the A/C, I'd pop the extra to get a decent aluminum 3 or 4 core rad replacement.
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On 2 of my 3 Jeeps with factory AC (all 4.0L), they are equipped with both an electric and a mechancal fan. As soon as I turn the AC on, the electric fan kicks on and stays on.... I assume from what I read, you only have the mechanical fan?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 2.5 with AC. No overheat issues with it - not that I run it much.

I recently replaced my rad due to it leaking. Just skimming on AutoZone's website, they only show one radiator for the 2.5. Doesn't matter if AC or not.

Curious what your temp is w/o AC on. Mine is around 180.

I'd check into the water pump myself. When the AC is on, the belt is under more load. You may have issues with the water pump slipping. Is the pulley good? Belt ok and tight?

I've had water pumps work almost fine with barely any fins left on the impeller. Water pumps are cheaper than a new rad. Maybe it's flaws are only showing up when the belt has more load on it.
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also - just checked the OEM parts catalog. There are only three factory radiators shown for the 94 and 95. Automatic transmission, Manual and a RHD version. No single or two core models factory. Just one model.

Here are the Jeep part numers:

Quote:

1 RADIATOR
5202 8120 1 Auto. Trans.
5202 8112 1 Manual Trans.
5202 9230 1 RHD

5534 5471 1 BRACKET, Radiator Rod Support EGYPT (Severe use air
And just one fan shown for all models.
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeper Don is suggesting the after market rads. There are several options on the aftermarkets uncluding the aluminums. Radiator barn is a good source. The belt slipping or the RPM drop from load is a good call too. The Cherokee and GC came with the 4.0L with the electric cooling fan in addition to the mechanicals. I am curious about the temp with the AC off.
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Man, for the 2.5, those aftermarket rads seem to be overkill. This motor could almost run without a water pump. Not to mention the large areas for air flow around this 2.5 in the engine bay.

Just my 2 cents.

If you poke around the parts stores, you can find a new replacement rad (if needed) for around $100. Look some more and you'll find coupons and all that will drop it more. I think my current rad from Advance was under $80.
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
Man, for the 2.5, those aftermarket rads seem to be overkill. This motor could almost run without a water pump. Not to mention the large areas for air flow around this 2.5 in the engine bay.

Just my 2 cents.

If you poke around the parts stores, you can find a new replacement rad (if needed) for around $100. Look some more and you'll find coupons and all that will drop it more. I think my current rad from Advance was under $80.
Not trying to hijack the thread.. but either my water pump is going or its my rad leaking.. cause i'm in the same boat sorta.. Just without the whole ac thing. I'd rather run a bikini top or just go completely topless to run homemade ac.. but the guy has a point.. florida summers are a scorch.

1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Water pumps are so easy to change on our Jeeps. Really the only place you'd be leaking from the radiator would be along the seams of the top and bottom caps.

If you punctured the radiator fins, you'd see the coolant oozing down it. Same with the cap seams, it's obvious with fresh coolant.

You could swap the water pump in under an hour. No joke, I pulled the OEM pump out and it lacked all the fins. They all corroded off. Since then I always use the pre mix coolant. Especially here in Jersey where the water is full of Iron.
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
McGinnsta
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

Omg help

Okay I don't know where to post my own problem so maybe if I reply I can get some answers from this thread. I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2 wheel, straight 6. Well only have had it for 4 months and man oh man is it a pain in my butt. After 2 days took it to Chrysler and it needed a PCM. Ok Ran great but had a flow master on it, no cat and o2 sensor wasnt hooked up. Get a new muffler new cat and hook up o2. @ weeks later starts stuttering, stalling after driving 5 to 10 miles and had to wait a min to start back up. Took to my macanic and the cat was broke up and melted like plastic. ok so muffler man puts new cat in and I ride out for a few min and its still doing it. After 2 weeks of that new cat it did the same thing so being Fl and no inspection got rid of the cat. Drove off fine for few miles and its stalling AGAIN! Well hard times I did run it out of gas. So I put few gallons in her prime it good and she wont start. So I wait because waiting always worked before. I try it again and pump that gas peedle like a crazy lady and it starts but back firing bad and stuttering, try it again and floor it back fires and smoke was pouring out the back like crazy. I shut it off because I thaught it was going to catch fire. I dunno, my macanics dont know but couldnt get a good test with out it acting up to test at that time. Well now he should be able to because I think she finally died. Any thoughts or ideas, anything please I can't tke much more and its my only transportation. Sincerely so confussed.
McGinnsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

McGinnsta - there is a Cherokee (XJ) forum. You should check it out. Regardless, it's the same motor as the YJs (this forum). And most of us here also have or had Cherokees at one time.

The Jeep engines like back pressure to run right. So I'll suggest getting your cat and muffler back on as per original design. Get the O2 back in place and re-connect it.

PCMs die too often. That said, your studdering sounds like an issue with any of the engine control sensors. Are you getting the 'Check Engine' light on? If so, your Jeep is 'throwing codes' in the computer. These codes will tell you what the Jeep's computer has detected as an issue. You can have the codes read by someone with a code reader.

Chasing sensor issues can be treacherous. It's what us modern Jeep guys must do anymore. The days of just removing the un-needed stuff (like your exhaust) are over.

When you re-installed your cat and muffler and O2, did you reset the computer?

Bad gas? Change the filter and put new gas in.

Check fuel pressure on the fuel rail. You can search here how to do it easily and what pressure you should be getting.

Your issues are common. Don't sweat it. You'll get it fixed with help from this board.

Oh, and your Jeep is fuel injected, so pumping the gas pedal or even 'priming it' are useless. There's a fuel pump that pressurizes the fuel line once you give it power.

Tags
a.c. , cooling , cooling issues , overheating , y.j. 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.