95 Wrangler Yj, need help!! Runs funny!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Wrangler Yj, need help!! Runs funny!!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 Wrangler Yj, need help!! Runs funny!!

I recently purchased a wrangler yj i was told it was sitting for a while but I think I was lied to. It turned over when I first got it, have replaced every sensor except the throttle postion sensor and had some luck with it. But at first it would flood out so much you would have to dump the oil pan out because it would be full of water. After we replaced the sensor it's not flooding that bad but will still flood out. We got to to crank a few times then it wouldn't do anything but turn over. Then finally it crunk and we were able to drive it a little then while we were going down the road maybe 15 min later it started acting funny and cut off, well we thought it was running out of gas so we stopped and put a little over a half of a tank it it, went another mile down the road and it cut off again, it would crank back up but wouldn't stay running long enough for you to get ten ft. Then got it running again and it went about two miles and quit we ended up burning up the starter trying to get it ten ft at a time back home. We towed it home replaced the starter and it crunk up and ideled fine but we did not attempt to drive it. The next day we went to crank it and it wouldn't do anything but turn over. Like I said we have replaced almost every sensor.. We have checked all the fuses and they are all still good. Anyone have any idea what it could be. The only thing I feel I have left to change is the computer or wiring engine harness. And ideas before I spend all that money on what it could be, it's really starting to annoy me!

Britt

brittpaige15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You are getting your oil pan filling with water? Or gas?
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
taormina92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Buddy stop replacing stuff right now. Go right back to the basics of gas engines:

Fuel
Air
Spark

Do you have each of these three solidly?? Check and make sure before you replace anything else.
taormina92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fill out your jeep info.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
pghohnst
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
You are getting your oil pan filling with water? Or gas?
Ditto, water in the oil pan is weird. Gas would make more sense, unless your fuel tank happens to have water in it.
pghohnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you might have condensation in the the fuel tank and the gas may be bad from sitting "awhile"

Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Get some of this from your local autopart store before you start replacing everything.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
Sounds like you might have condensation in the the fuel tank and the gas may be bad from sitting "awhile"

Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Get some of this from your local autopart store before you start replacing everything.
^True enough. Gasoline degrading over time can clog up things, break down its composition, sometimes gas can last for a couple of years in storage, sometimes only 6 months. Depends on where it is stored, how it is stored, temperatures, etc. Also, lots of gas stations use ethanol of course, a 15% percent blend of alcohol in with the gas. The result of alcohol breaking down over time is water. Alcohol evaporates pretty quickly, so yes, this seems like an obvious thing to look into, it would make sense to flush that tank completely out, and put some good quality gasoline in there.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is that clown or comedian funny?

You really need to put in the Jeep info on your profile to know what we are dealing with. Your right about the basics. Get a can of starting fluid and see if it cranks over when its acting bad with a shot of starting fluid. That will eliminate the fuel as an issue. Check for spark on your plugs. If you dont have spark on the plugs check for power at the coil.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

have you replaced the crank sensor, it sounds like a bad crank sensor
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It floods out too much and fills the oil pan with gas. And yeah I have replaced the crank sensor. It gets spark sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. it's weird. one minute it will run then just stop, the next it won't even start and floods out but doesn't flood out when it gets started.
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We drained the tank and put new gas in before we started messing with it, changed the fuel filter. And yeah we have spark to all the plugs and has a new coil. But it doesn't always have spark thats the funny thing about it. I'm assuming that when it's flooding out that is when it's not getting spark so it's not burning off the gas that is getting let through. I'm not certain, I have asked many people that is why I have ended up dropping money into sensor and all and getting no where. I got told that the ecu could be going bad that it would make it act funny, so I ordered a new one and it's on it way with hopes. The only thing that has not been changed that someone said could be bad is a short in the wiring harness. But I am not going to replace the wiring harness until after I get the computer. But other than that I am going to try and replace the injectors just bc it has been sitting. Is there anything else that I could replace that may help?
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
markr1001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ohm out the wires and make sure they are good,
markr1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The wires on the engine harness?
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittpaige15 View Post
It floods out too much and fills the oil pan with gas. And yeah I have replaced the crank sensor. It gets spark sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. it's weird. one minute it will run then just stop, the next it won't even start and floods out but doesn't flood out when it gets started.
Throwing handfuls of new parts at a car with issues without any basic mechanic detective work being done has sent many a parts guys children through college!

I would check my timing first and then see if all my plugs are getting high voltage.

You sound like you have 'ring wash'. That is unburnt fuel draining from the cylinders into the base pan which may explode if the gas fumes can ignite. If you had a mechanical fuel pump it would be the prime suspect but yours is in the fuel tank I believe. If you had a carb that cvould do it also if addjusted wrong, but you don't do you?

MAybe you have jumped time or the distributer is out by 180 degrees,another possibility.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

mine was a broken crankshaft position wire near the connector. Ran when the road was smooth but not so well when it wasnt

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.