95 Wrangler, runs funny! Need Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Wrangler, runs funny! Need Help!

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 Wrangler, runs funny! Need Help!

I bought a 95 wrangler that was said to have been sitting for 8mths+ and it's fuel injected but would still turn over so I at first had no concerns. Well we got it home put a new battery in it and drained the tank and put new gas in it. Went through all the fuses and it still wouldn't crank. We have since changed the coil, cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, the thing inside the distributor (forgot what its called), it at first would turn over a flood out then we changed all those, now it will crank we had it going down the road it started acting funny and it cut off, we got it to crank back quite a few times and go about 10 feet then cut off, with us trying to get it home this way we burnt up the starter, have since then changed that and towed it home. We changed it and it started right up and we just cut it off the other day we went to crank it and it wont start again you can smell gas like its flooding out but doesn't do that all the time.. I'm at a stand still with this thing. The only other thing I knw to change under the hood is the ecu and engine harness. Does anyone have any suggestions about this at all?

brittpaige15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Reads like its not ECU/electrical though.

Are there any error codes stored in the ECM?

I would find that gas leak/small and go from there. It's fuel related sounds like.

If the smell is coming from the rear/underneith the jeep etc, I would start by diagnosing the fuel pump, make sure it's working properly, and check the fuel filter - yeah 8 months sitting I would definitely replace that fuel filter (even if that's not it). The filter is rear driver side up behind the tire well, you cannot miss it. The pump is right on top of the fuel tank. Unplug the line at the fuel filter leading towards the engine and see if a good constant flow of gas is coming out, etc. Dump the fuel in a oil catch/pan or something and inspect it. That filter might have all kinds of crap in it and be clogged maybe.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump is working fine and we changed the filter. I had talked to another guy who said his jeep did it and it was his ecu going bad and it did it for four months because it was sending the wrong thing out. I ordered a new ecu off ebay and hoping it would be here today or tomo. We had someone check the fuel pump and they said it was in great working order, the filter def needed changing so we got a new one. Once it gets running it runs out great but sometimes it has spark and sometimes it doesn't.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

ahh ok.

Could be computer related then.

If you get it cranked again do not drive it. Just let it idle maybe for awhile. Like 10-15 minutes. Maybe longer. What did the throttle body look like?

8 months+ is a long time. If the seller told you at least 8 months, then count on it being a lot longer than that, hehe.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am hoping it is the computer after I spent all that money. lol but okay so 10-15 min should help? We have crank it quite a few times but haven't really let it sit for that long.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah man let it sit and run. Give it some slight gas after awhile. But I would let it run for awhile in neutral/idle for sure. Let it try to clean all that crap thats been sittting for 8+ years off the injectors perhaps. Do you have any fuel injector cleaner? Maybe some Lucas Oil or something?
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah we put some lucas in it but it hasn't ran long enough to get good and in there..
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check for faults using the Check engine light. Does the check enigne light come on when your first cycle the key to start it? When you check the fuel pump, how did you check it? The way it should be checked is with a pressure guage on the fuel rail and jumper the fuel pump relay. The pumps sometimes fail after they start to warm up.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We had a guy come out and check it. I am not sure how he did it to be honest. And I haven't really paid to much attention. Will it come on then go right back off once it has started up?
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
brittpaige15
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And when it floods out is when it's not started up. It doesn't do it when it get crunk. But if it won't start right off then it floods out.
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I need to get what your saying strait. Itsflooding out when its not starting. When yopu are not starting you have no spark at the plugs?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.