JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   95 Wrangler Rear Defroster? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/95-wrangler-rear-defroster-478093/)

GreyfoxVt 10-26-2007 09:56 AM

95 Wrangler Rear Defroster?

Does anybody know if There is a rear defroster for hard tops for the 95 YJ Jeep Wrangler? I live in the cold north, and if winter ever arrives, I will need to defrost my window.

rustywrangler 10-26-2007 10:00 AM

Yes there is. Is your HT aftermarket or stock??? U shure you do not have it already??? If it is stock, check the wiring harness that goes into the fender well on the drivers side rear of the tub. Right behind the rear roll bar mount there is a rubber grommet. Pull it up a bit or go in from underneith. If you have the Defroster,dome light harness, it will be a pigtail off of the stock harness before the rear tail light connections.

I can give more details via PM if you like. It depends on if you have the harness or not.

flame0086 10-26-2007 12:47 PM

No defrosters on mine. On the east side of WA, I never had a problem with the rear foggin up unless someone was in the back. Other than that, just scrap off the ice in the morning and I was good to go.

RCHavok797 10-26-2007 02:46 PM

Does your hardtop have the heating elements in the rear glass?

laybackman 10-26-2007 03:22 PM

First does the HT have the heating elements in the glass? Now for the important check. Check for a red timer relay located in the tub harness by the parking brake doodad. Now check the dash for the rear defroster switch. If you don't have the timer relay which is red and is in a red socket and has the words TIMER written on the relay. Beleive it or not the '95 TYJ will have the wiring in the dash harness to accept the defroster switch BUT the tub harness will not have the necessary wiring to include that rlay I mentioned unless it was ordered from the factory with a HT that had the rear defroster option. I added a HT to my '95YJ and had to alter me tub harness to make the HT defroster work.

Michael_94YJ 10-26-2007 03:29 PM

Ok i'm gonna add to this post since it will help the OP.
My top has the defroster elements and the correct harness but no switch to activate it. My rear wiper works as well. is this what you were referring to? Where do you purchase one at?

rustywrangler 10-26-2007 03:51 PM

This is all what I was going to PM him but I think we need to hear from the OP on what the deal is.

GreyfoxVt 10-29-2007 09:47 AM

Well there is no heating relay as you asked, and the rear window does not have heating eliments. I have a place for the switch, but it too is not present.

I have even tried to purchase online a kit to add heating tape and I would wite it, but none was found.

I am still open to ideas...

There top is stock and the tub cable has alot of connections, so I might be able to support the defroster.

rustywrangler 10-29-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfoxvt

There top is stock and the tub cable has alot of connections, so I might be able to support the defroster.

Snap a pic of the connections and I can tell you if you have the harness for defroster. Also, if you look under the dash where the defroster switch should be, If you have the harness, there will be a plug for the switch right there behind the bezel.

laybackman 10-29-2007 02:10 PM

His dash harness will have a red plug socket for the rear defroster plug. :)

BUT the power for the switch comes through the red timer relay socket and relay and feeds the power to the switch. That red timer relay socket and relay is in the tub harness which plugs into the dash harness. :mad:

One plug is black and one is gray. The tub harness does not have the wiring if the red timer relay socket is not present in the tub harness.

My '95 YJ did not have the HT option from the factory. Therefore like all other YJ's the tub harnes did not have the wiring or the relay and relay socket to provide power for the rear defroster.

I had to rewire my tub harness to add the defroster circuitry/relay/rlay socket. All I did to the dash harness was plug it into the defroster switch I added to my dash panel where they provide a cut out for it.

APFD595 11-23-2013 10:05 AM

I have a 95 with factory HT and the defroster doesn't work but the wiper does. I tried to look into it to see if I could figure out the problem but no luck. I do know that when I push on the defrost button, there is a clicking sound under the dash but unable to find out where the sound is coming from. Anyone have an answer as to how to fix it so it works?

laybackman 11-23-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APFD595 (Post 17946906)
I have a 95 with factory HT and the defroster doesn't work but the wiper does. I tried to look into it to see if I could figure out the problem but no luck. I do know that when I push on the defrost button, there is a clicking sound under the dash but unable to find out where the sound is coming from. Anyone have an answer as to how to fix it so it works?

Does the rear window actually have the heating wires on/in it?

Check out my answer here to a fellow JF member. The wire colors should be accurate since my information was for a '95 YJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...wiper-1274808/

The time now is 05:11 PM.