95 Wrangler ignition problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Wrangler ignition problems

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
flcl57

95 Wrangler ignition problems

My vehicle is a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara V6 4.0L Automatic.
I'm getting error codes

11 - No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.

12 - Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles.

17 - Engine did not reach operating temperature within acceptable limits. Engine does not reach 20 F. within 5 minutes with a vehicle speed signal.

Explanation for 17, I was told there is no thermostat on my jeep.

I have fuel coming through the injectors, the pressure is good. The spark is pretty weak. Sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesn't. I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor, and Camshaft position sensor, the coil. Nothing happened. All the relays are working and relative fuses are in tact and the wires connected to the crankshaft and camshaft sensors both have power. This has been going on for a few days and I can't figure out why. Advice would be appreciated

flcl57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you checked/performed the obvious stuff. I don't really understand code 17 if she isn't running though. You may have a wiring issue. One common issue that you should rule out is to check the wiring to the O2 sensor. Most of your sensors share common power. The O2 wiring, given it's location... it is somewhat common to have the wiring melt against the exhaust down pipe and or become entangled on the front drive shaft. If this wiring shorted out, it can cause the issues you are seeing. Beyond that, I would disconnect the battery and then the ECM connector and ohm out the CPS sensor wiring back to the ECM connector. Removing the windshield washer bottle/reservoir aids greatly in doing this. From the CPS connector, the gry/blk wire should ohm to pin 24 of the ECM connector, CPS connector blk/lt blu wire should ohm to ECM pin 4, CPS connector org wire should ohm to ECM pin 7. Also check all to chassis ground to see if any are shorted. Reconnect ECM, CPS, then lastly battery and recheck codes and report back.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
flcl57

Thanks for the info, I did everything you said.

Update:
Checked the O2 wires, there were no shorts nor tangles anywhere. When we opened up the ECM connector we found a little bit of water build up. That's all cleaned. All the pins went great with the wires you said. No problems there. The person reading the meter ( I don't know how) Said he noticed no problems. Checking all the wires to ground, they remarked that the Black/Light Blue wire had a resistance of 15.4 when measured to ground. He was wondering what that might mean for that wire. Everything's re-connected now and the codes have updated! Now I'm getting 12, 55. Which is the "Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles." Which has nothing to do with anything. So the codes are gone, but still no engine start up! Hope to hear back from you soon and thanks again for the advice. In the mean time, I'll do more research and keep this updated until I hear back with more helpful advice.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
flcl57

No explanation for the codes 11 & 17 going away. Still having the same problems as before. Intermittent spark. Could this be a problem with my ECM? If so, how can I test it? Additionally, when I look at my distributor cap and the placement of the spark cables, The screws on the cap never line up to the picture I'm looking at. Can anyone provide me some information about the order of plugs on my cap? Or explain why my screws seem to be turned 180 degrees?
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your firing order is clockwise 1,5,3,4,6,2. The big 3 on spark is cam, crank, and coil. You have replaced all 3 so yes it could be the ecu. Did you check all your grounds and the cap and rotor. When you replaced the cam/pickup sensor did you replace the entire distributor?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
flcl57

My firing order is fine in that case. I just received a refurbished ECU and I am still not getting any ignition. We are at a loss with what to do, going crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.