95 Wrangler 4cyl Sludge in Overlfow Tank, 120K miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Wrangler 4cyl Sludge in Overlfow Tank, 120K miles

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
gejinks

95 Wrangler 4cyl Sludge in Overlfow Tank, 120K miles

I just had a new radiator (OEM), hoses, thermostat, etc about 200 miles ago. Today, I noticed a small amount of brownish sludge floating in the top of the coolant in overflow tank. Coolant in radiator looks fine. I changed oil last night to see if there was coolant in it and there was not. Could this just be some sediment, etc that had built up in the engine cooling passages that made it to the tank? Should I remove the tank and wash it well and then refill. I don't want to think that it is a cracked head or block.

Thoughts?

gejinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Listen for gurgling after you turn the car off and check the oil for coolant to verify you don't have a headgasket, block, head problem. Sediment is common over time. A flush wouldn't hurt
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sediment is common after as many miles as you have, as mgramann said, but I also agree you should double check you don't have an internal oil leak somewhere, without seeing photos of it that sounds like a possibility as well.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.