95 Turn Signal removal help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Turn Signal removal help

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 10-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 Turn Signal removal help

I know there is a thread that gets pointed to a lot for this issue

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html Thread.

But that site doesn't match up to my 95 YJ when it comes to actually replacing the turn signal lever. Does anyone have a write up on removing an actual 95 YJ turn signal. The problem I have is that my turn signal broke off inside the switch, so I need to take the switch out to remove the broken part. I have the steering wheel off and the lock plate removed, but now I can't get the housing that holds the turn signal lever in place out of the steering column. What am I supposed to do after I remove the lock plate?

scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you don't have to take it all apart to get that out.. use a drill to make a hole in it... big enough to use a long sheet metal or dry wall screw... then pull the stub out.. Install new turn signal lever....

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
you don't have to take it all apart to get that out.. use a drill to make a hole in it... big enough to use a long sheet metal or dry wall screw... then pull the stub out.. Install new turn signal lever....
I have tried that. It didn't work. So I need to remove the entire piece from the inside.
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any other thoughts? Like I said the link that everyone points to does not match my 95 YJ. The turn signal lever is broken off inside the turn signal switch. I have removed the lock plate and I unscrewed the next part after the lock plate, but I can't get the actual turn signal part out. It is loose, but it won't pull out of the steering column, it almost feels like the Ignition lock (The part where the key goes) is keeping that piece from coming out, but I can't see anyway to remove the ignition lock from the column or the actual turn signal switch.
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did not have to remove the key cylinder to replace the switch. I believe the wire harness is pretty tight, you will need to take that loose under the dash. Go ahead and take out the bolts holding the column to the dash, you will need the extra room to remove harness.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Scrapper see if this helps:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...er&safe=active
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Que, I searched that but everyone is always so vague about this part of the process. Below is a picture of where I am, I'm using the metal rod to point at the turn signal switch and the location where the lever broke off. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get that switch out. From the top the large black plastic piece is held on by three screws which I have removed. There doesn't appear to be anything else holding it in. The piece is loose, it just won't come out, and I am afraid that if I force it out I will break it. is there anyone out there who has removed this piece and can tell me how to do it?

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get it out?
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Did you get it out?
Nope, but I didn't have time to look at it yesterday. There has to be something obvious that I am missing.
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here, this link will take you all the way to the tilt if you have that feature.... http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

See if this helps. I can se pics at work but I know there are a couple in his thread too
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...witch-1226376/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...witch-1506837/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...works-1087274/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...column-854979/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...lever-1038314/
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got it out. Now to put it all back together.
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper View Post
I got it out. Now to put it all back together.
was it hanging up on the broken piece, or was it something else that was preventing it from coming out the other day?
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It was the ignition lock. It did have to be removed and it was the spring removal type. The problem was that the spot to press down was really hard to see and I had a tough time getting it pressed in enough to remove the lock.

Like I said the 95 column isn't 100% like the one in Dale's write up, just look at the left side of my column to see the difference. But it's close enough that once I examined his write up I figured out where I should be pushing on the ignition lock.
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.