95 Rio Grande - different froma Wrangler, how? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Rio Grande - different froma Wrangler, how?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-24-2004, 12:40 AM   #1
ZonaWrangler

95 Rio Grande - different froma Wrangler, how?

As far as I can tell, it's just a graphics package. I purchased my 95 as a "Wrangler" but through a carfax type report I found it was a Wrangler Rio Grande. Does that have any special mechanical features?

TIA

ZonaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 12:56 AM   #2
talonegress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaWrangler
As far as I can tell, it's just a graphics package. I purchased my 95 as a "Wrangler" but through a carfax type report I found it was a Wrangler Rio Grande. Does that have any special mechanical features?

TIA
I own a rio grande. 95 was the only year they were made. As far as I know it only came with a 4 banger, a "special" interior pattern on the seats(dont know if thats how all wranglers look with the spice interior or not) and it has the rio grande edition decal behind the rear tire.
Air Force Jeep Club #1
talonegress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
ZonaWrangler

Hmmm. That decal is missing for me. I just have the "WRANGLER" decal near the back. Does have the cloth, grey seats though. They don't seem so special. Yours also dark green?
ZonaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 02:27 AM   #4
talonegress

here's what mine looks like. Mine is a dark green color, but my interior is spice colored.
labordayweekend2004014.jpg  
Air Force Jeep Club #1
Unread 11-24-2004, 02:40 AM   #5
ZonaWrangler

Mine looks a lot different. Not nearly as muddy for one thing

No stripes on the side. It's a very dark blue/green. Almost looks black at night, and from all I can tell it's the original paint job. Certainly the original color. Has the WRANGLER decal on the back, on each side, but that's it. Obviously, the Bestop is not the original top and it has Primax alloy rims, custom steel front bumper and side rails (black). I think I ripped the guy off at $4600. Will have pics soon.

The interior is grey cloth and fake leather trim. Seatwise. Door panels are black/dark grey. I guess it's the interior that makes a Rio Grande better? Seems like a crappy interior to me. I was thinking of taking it down to Mexico and having a leather interior put in, but maybe I should just go for sheepskin covers? I really don't plan on taking it offroad much, besides the average dirt roads even a Honda Civic can get across here in Arizona. As long as it gets my mountain bike to the campsite .... I'm happy.
Unread 11-24-2004, 05:24 AM   #6
mYJ

The Rio Grande is basically an trim package on the 95 4 cylinder YJ. Cloth interior and I believe most options were available including an automatic.

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 06:20 AM   #7
flxpain

My 95 is a Rio Grande. I too am missing the "Rio Grande" stickers but I do have the seats that make a "Rio Grande" a Rio Grande! Not much too it. Mine had the option of a hard top (which I got). There just isn't much different. However, for fun, does anyone know where to get replacement "Rio Grande" Stickers. Not sure if I want to put them back on, but would like to see them just in case
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Green Jeep Club Member #135[/COLOR]

Current Jeep-
95' YJ Rio Grande 3.5 Rough Country Lift. 3" body Lift. 31" BFG AT's. 2.5L Soon to have a pair of Sentinals Vent covers!
flxpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
SLINKY-YJ

Im another rio-grand owner 95' and I have the rio grand stickers on the rear.
SLINKY-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #9
flxpain

Slinky, can you post a pic of the jeep with the sticker on it?
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Green Jeep Club Member #135[/COLOR]

Current Jeep-
95' YJ Rio Grande 3.5 Rough Country Lift. 3" body Lift. 31" BFG AT's. 2.5L Soon to have a pair of Sentinals Vent covers!
flxpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #10
Jeeper84
1979 CJ5 

Don't forget abou the 297x U-joints. First and last year a stock YJ had them. Because of the fact that Rio Grande's only had a four cylinder, they also come with 4.11 gears.
Jeeper84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2004, 01:31 AM   #11
talonegress

yep cant forget them 4.11 gears!!!
Air Force Jeep Club #1
Unread 11-26-2004, 01:31 AM   #12
ZonaWrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper84
Don't forget abou the 297x U-joints. First and last year a stock YJ had them. Because of the fact that Rio Grande's only had a four cylinder, they also come with 4.11 gears.
So ..... does that mean there is no upgrade for my gears? I guess that's good to know I wont be wasting money there. And .... what are 297x U-joints?

Also is it pronounced Rio GRAND or Rio Grandé?
Unread 11-26-2004, 01:36 AM   #13
talonegress

You can still upgrade your gears. Thats just what the stock gears are! I plan on upgrading to 4.88's sometime in the near future. 35's + 4-banger + 4.11's= no 5th gear on the highway.
Air Force Jeep Club #1
Unread 12-01-2004, 10:05 PM   #14
KWStumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flxpain
My 95 is a Rio Grande. I too am missing the "Rio Grande" stickers but I do have the seats that make a "Rio Grande" a Rio Grande! Not much too it. Mine had the option of a hard top (which I got). There just isn't much different. However, for fun, does anyone know where to get replacement "Rio Grande" Stickers. Not sure if I want to put them back on, but would like to see them just in case
Also a fellow green Rio Grande owner. Mine has the emblems but no striping. Ebaymotors normally has a set of the emblems, but i just checked and didn't find any, you may want to check there in a week or so, but I'll try to get a picture of mine on here sometime.
KWStumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 07:04 AM   #15
TEXASRAM

Very Odd?

MInes a 95, Rio Grande, 6IL, 4.0HO, 3:07, Automatic with spice interior and the Rio Grande stickers on the rear quarter panels. It also had some dark blue, teal, light blue and gold striping resembling Spashes. It also HAD some "Wrangler" stickers in gold and teal on the hood. I removed all stickers except the Rio Grande ones. According to the build sheet its an SE model, automatic, 4.0HO, 3:07gears with a 20 gal tank. Go figure? Oh Yea, Being that I'm from Texas, it's always been pronounced "Rio Grand E" .

I wonder if anyone has a 95 Jeep build catalog? I'd like to see the options that were available for the 95.

thanks, Rik
1995 JEEP Wrangler, 4.0 H.O. , IL6 4x4, White/Spice, Auto, Custom Center Console, Homemade Cold-Air Intake, 31x10.50x15 MT, Rubicon fenderflares, Black Denim Bestop Supertop, FlowMaster Exhaust, Hi-Flow Cat, 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Custom front bumper

homemade xtras to come.... rear bumper w/ tire carrier, rock sliders.........

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"
TEXASRAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.