95 Rear Wheel Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Rear Wheel Wobble

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
JJGiguere87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 Rear Wheel Wobble

Alright so I didn't want to post up until I got a chance to look better at the situation but I'm looking for some idea's because I only have a couple left.

I recently just picked up a 95 YJ straight 6, 5 spd. It's pretty much fully mod'd out.

Mod's are : 4 1/2in Pro Comp lift
1" Body Lift
33x13.50x15 Super Swamper TSL's
Front and Rear Aussie Locker's. Full time rear/cable front
Super 88 Rear Axle's and c-clip eliminator
Rear Disc brake conversion
SYE
Drive Shafts are from Driveshaft SHop RI.

When I picked it up I drove it fine down the highway and a few times there after just fine at like 65-70.

After I went out the other day I notice a more noticable wobble in the rear tire when Im driving and now above 55 she shakes like a mofo.

All I have noticed is that I have one broken nut and bolt to bearing holder on axles. Im hoping this is it because only other option's are bad tire and wheel or bent axle.

I will be switching around the rear tire to the front to see if the problem moves or not.

Just wanted to see if anyone knows anything I might not seeing Im new to the game so to speak.

Thanks guys.

This is her anyway on her way to my idea of a wheeling/dd jeep.

Soft Top

Hard Top

Where I coulda did something...lol

JJGiguere87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
stacynoland

I had the same issue but on my front. I could actually look out and see the tire wobble. Started at about 40mph and would ease out around 55. I replaced the wheels and tires at the same time and it went away. Idk if it was a bent rim or the tire itself.
stacynoland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A bent wheel, or axle shaft will give you a wobble, but the main axle tube will not present as a wobble due to a bend. One way you may be able to tell if the axle shaft is bent is to very lightly ride the brake to see if you feel a pulsation. You may also see this if you take the wheel off, bolt a lug nut or two on to keep the drum in place, and run it in low gear to see if you can watch the drum wobble. Also, try tossing your spare on that position to see if it goes away.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
A bent wheel, or axle shaft will give you a wobble, but the main axle tube will not present as a wobble due to a bend. One way you may be able to tell if the axle shaft is bent is to very lightly ride the brake to see if you feel a pulsation. You may also see this if you take the wheel off, bolt a lug nut or two on to keep the drum in place, and run it in low gear to see if you can watch the drum wobble. Also, try tossing your spare on that position to see if it goes away.
X2 on the housing bend. It will give a tire very uneven wear very quickly, but it won't wobble.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure you dont just need to have the tires rebalanced? When mine do that I usually just need to balance them.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You said in your OP that you might swap them out front to rear and see if the problem moves with the wheel/tire..... that needs to be the first thing you do to rule out bent rim or out of round tire....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The axle flange might also be bent. Have you hit anything hard from the side? You can test that by pulling the tire off and rotating the axle by hand: use a ruler to see if the flange wobbles while you turn the axle by hand.

I've been in that boat, but just needed a $25 new/used axle to fix it.
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
JJGiguere87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I ended up just having a bent rim. I had a full brand new spare I put on the front and moved the front to the rear so that the wear on the back tires was the same due to have a full time locker in the rear I didn't want to cause any issues.

I did jack it up and look at the axle and its dead straight. I have a disc brake conversion on her along with super 88's like said above. So I have the c-clip eliminator and set-20 bearing housing for the axles bolted to the axle housing.

I am just surprised but happy that it was just a wheel. Looks like Im going to have to buy a few spares. I didnt think I was messing around that hard but all well. lol.
JJGiguere87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Robob69
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my 95 Yj and had the exact samething... Could not figure it out.. All wheels balanced out... No Change... Finally took it for inspection and they put it on the Dyno... BAM... I seen the Right Rear Wheel was wobbling like crazy... So I changed the Axle shaft... Was better.. Still there,..

Finally changed the OP Shaft on the TC and BAM it was gone... I seen on the bottom of the tub that the Ujoint had at one time come apart and the DS slammed the tub.. More than likely bent the OP Shaft..
So... Check the Right side Axle Shaft.... Check the Drive Line.... Check the OP Shaft...

I am seeing that even after I changed the right side Axle It still has a wobble... I guess I got a bent one from the JY...

Not sure which shafts will fit it besides the YJ...
Robob69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.