95 Dual diaphram booster/master cylinder upgrade - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 95 Dual diaphram booster/master cylinder upgrade

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #31
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right now you can't find any 95 Boosters, they are all bought from the same source A1Cardone or something like that, and they don't have any. The parts number (54-73153) are all the same at every major parts retailer. Anyway I was actually able to find one on Ebay. So try that route also if you can't find it anywhere.
I got a new Wagner from rockauto and they appear to be in stock now. Part numbers are different than yours also - MC131400

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1798154

shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #32
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The link is to the master cylinder. Do they have the booster? It's too difficult for me to search with the cell.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #33
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind if you can't find the '95 booster, you can make a TJ booster work too. There's a write up on here but I don't have it handy. I got the booster, MC, and prop valve from a guy with three wrecked TJ's building one good on for $35, it was actually a SUPER easy swap.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #34
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oops - sorry about that. I bought the booster and master from them last year. Here is a link to the booster.

http://my.cardone.com/English/club/m...ARTNUM=5473153

And now I see the problem, the only option they offer now is to send yours in to be rebuilt
shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #35
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Shoreline. Good info to add to the thread!
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #36
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you put in a Cardone booster make sure they have several in stock because it usually takes a few to get one that works.

The TJ booster can be made to work fairly easily but it does require some fab skills. The push rod from the pedal is considerably shorter and the length is very specific so if it's cut and lengthened it will need to be adjustable. Also, the hole in the end needs to be drilled out to 5/8.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
If you put in a Cardone booster make sure they have several in stock because it usually takes a few to get one that works.
hey there, i did the swap a month ago with a cardone, put it in, stops better, but with alot of pedal travel. what are the symptoms of a bad booster.. the pedal isnt super hard to push, and it desnt pull down on its own.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #38
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Captain, it sounds like you just need to adjust your linkage.
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i think its adjusted all the way. anymore starts to allow fluid to pass

Unread 05-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainauti View Post
hey there, i did the swap a month ago with a cardone, put it in, stops better, but with alot of pedal travel. what are the symptoms of a bad booster.. the pedal isnt super hard to push, and it desnt pull down on its own.
The ones I had were soft pedal and constantly feeling like it needed bleeding. The brakes would only hard stop if the pedal was all the way to the floor.

I'm not kidding about having 3 in a row that were bad, and not all from the same parts store.

Mr Blaine swapped in an OEM TJ booster for me on a custom bracket and it all work instantly.

Quote:
i think its adjusted all the way. anymore starts to allow fluid to pass

I went through that too. If the push rod is too tight then the master can not fully release and the brakes will start to drag until you can't move. The correct adjustment is just touching, then back off about a 1/2 turn.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #41
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The TJ booster can be made to work fairly easily but it does require some fab skills. The push rod from the pedal is considerably shorter and the length is very specific so if it's cut and lengthened it will need to be adjustable. Also, the hole in the end needs to be drilled out to 5/8.
Excellent point. I sometimes forget not everyone has access to things needed for something like this. A lot people may not even have a drill bit larger than a 3/8's.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

jus called and ordered another booster. they are bringing in 2 for me if that doesnt work, ill go tj style.
my pedal goes way down before it works then it will stop... sounds the same. thanx guys.

EDIT: no more for 95... ordering a 96 he said.... i guess ill see what comes in. lol

Unread 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #43
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had read previously about A1 boosters having issues and checked around for alternatives as I plan on doing this swap very soon. Just so everyone knows the ones that NAPA stocks are listed as being made exclusively by either ATE or Bendix- both of which I would trust. This is the route I plan on doing.
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazyj View Post
I had read previously about A1 boosters having issues and checked around for alternatives as I plan on doing this swap very soon. Just so everyone knows the ones that NAPA stocks are listed as being made exclusively by either ATE or Bendix- both of which I would trust. This is the route I plan on doing.
yeap, but napa can only get the A1. and, they are all out. called 20 mins ago, nowhere in the system.

Unread 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #45
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeap, but napa can only get the A1. and, they are all out. called 20 mins ago, nowhere in the system.
Ah that's no good- im a very regular at the one by my house so ill run it by them and confirm just to be sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.