94 yj won't shift into 5th gear or reverse...please help!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 yj won't shift into 5th gear or reverse...please help!!!!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
rmbrown
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 yj won't shift into 5th gear or reverse...please help!!!!

Hi guys its been a while since ive been on here... Like the title reads I am having issues w the gears in my 94 yj. last year I was involved in a front end collision mostly on driver side have a bit of front end damage that's another thread but for now I cant shift into 5th gear or reverse the shifter wont even go into either of those gears its like the shifter hit a brick wall I don't know where to start any thoughts..

Ryan

rmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Was your hand on the shifter on impact? If so maybe something was bent from the natural reaction to brace yourself.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
rmbrown
1994 YJ Wrangler 

no because I remember I had my hand off the shifter trying to protect my wife from injury
rmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe you broke the collar on 5th gear and it's sitting it a place it shouldn't be sitting? My 5th went out on the hwy and would make a slapping noise if I ever shifted into it after that. When I tried it in the parking lot of the shop I took it to before handing over the keys I couldn't even get it into 5th.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.