94 YJ vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 YJ vibration

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 11-30-2001, 04:21 AM   #1
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 YJ vibration

I recently installed a RC 3" lift kit and when I'm going 45-52 mph I get a vibration. It feels like the rear driveshaft, I also have 2" shackles. Could I need another degree of shim?

Unread 11-30-2001, 07:12 AM   #2
gifargis

You either have to place a SYE kit to illiminate the problem and change the drive shaft to accomidate the longer length.. or I just threw a 15 degree shimmy under my leaf spring to get the correct angle...
That could be one problem .

Did you lower the transfer case?
if not, this is problem number two

sargon
Unread 11-30-2001, 08:51 AM   #3
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did lower the t-case. Does it matter that the spring already have a shim, can put another shim on top of it?
Unread 11-30-2001, 09:21 AM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm assuming the tcase drop and the shims came in a kit. If so, it's probably not angle, it's probably a u-joint failing on you. Get under there and shake the crap out of the driveshaft. There shouldn't be any play other than a slight amount of rotation.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 09:31 AM   #5
Brendan

If you have a 3" suspension and 1" shackle lift, you are asking for vibration. Dropping the T-case decreases your ground cleareance, and can affect your shifting. Just save for the slip yoke eliminator kit. It will solve most of those vibration problems. With shims you are temporarily fixing a problem that will need permanent fixing later.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2001, 11:34 AM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad you replied to this Brendan, cause it made me read it again. I didn't catch it was a newly installed lift the first time around for some reason.

First, DO NOT stack shims! Bad enough ya gotta slip something between your springs and perches as it is. Expect to install a longer center pin on your springs when you add a thicker shim. The center pin needs to go thru the shim and into the perch.

I'd suggest you get under your Jeep with an angle finder (cheap tool to buy) and measure your driveshaft angle and the angles of your yokes. Figure out how much shim you need and slip them in.

If it were my Jeep, the lift shackles would be outta there! They're probably the worst way to obtain lift.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.