94 YJ Towing Capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 YJ Towing Capacity

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
northernboy1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 YJ Towing Capacity

I have a 94 YJ 4.0L inline 6cyl. 2" BDS suspension lift, 31x10.5 tires, 5spd manual tranny and I was wondering if I could pull a loaded car trailer? The trailer weighs 2100lbs empty, has brakes on one axle and I will be putting a 4 cyl car on it (like a sunfire, civic, cavalier etc) The cars are for demolition derby so they wont be the full weight, they would be stripped out. I would be hauling NO MORE then 100KMs. Just wondering if I would be able to make the trip or not?

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited by northernboy1; 04-07-2013 at 04:48 PM..
northernboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Does not sound safe to me.

I would worry more about stopping, than pulling. You will be close to 7500# including the jeep and trailer. No way your brakes are enough for that.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
northernboy1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What about an upgrade to 4 wheel electric brakes on the trailer? I have a bias controller for trailer brakes already, so I can adjust how much they are applied.
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No way. No how, nada...

The tongue weight of a tandem axle trailer with a car properly loaded would far exceed any hitch I have ever seen made for a YJ. And if you move the car back to reduce the tongue weight, you are talking sway city. The trailer will start swaying and might be tough to recover.

Sometimes safety dictates what we want to do. Please do the safe thing and borrow a truck or even rent one.
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
northernboy1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I just couldn't find a straight answer on towing capabilities of these jeeps. Thanks for the input. And it sounds like I will be borrowing my buddies truck. Its not worth my life or other peoples life. That can wait until we are inside the derby ring
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I can't believe I actually started to worry about a person on the internet!

I think hitches are rated similar to heavy equipment. They run tests and rate them around 50% of the actual failing point. There is usually some wiggle room. 20-30% even. But not 100 %. That is usually the failure point. That is exactly where you would be. Rolling the dice...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.