94 YJ speedometer gear assembly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 YJ speedometer gear assembly

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
str1ker21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 YJ speedometer gear assembly

I recently bought a 94 YJ for a good price, so I wasn't too concerned about the speedo not working. I figured it would be a fairly easy fix because upon initial inspection it looked like the speed gear housing was broken where it connects to the transfer case...that shouldn't be too bad.

I'm now working on this problem and have found out it may be more of an issue:

It appears that this YJ has the NP-207 transfer case. Did the previous owner have the original transfer case replaced?? I thought the 94 YJ's had the NP-231 transfer case.

The speedo gear housing that I removed from the NP-207 is a small steel cone shaped housing with a completely plastic gear in it.

I have the 1994-1996 Jeep YJ MOPAR parts list. It shows my YJ should have a much larger plastic speedo gear housing - which would match the electronic speed sensor that I have under my YJ.

See pics at 1994 JY

My question is how do I get my speedo working / speed sensor attached to this speedo gear housing? Is the speedo gear housing from the NP-207 for a cable driven speedo? If so, is there any way to get that to work with my electronic speed sensor?

I would, of course like to get the speedo working without spending a fortune. This YJ will not be a hardcore rock crawler or mud machine, not even a daily driver. It's mainly a play toy for weekends and hunting, so I'm not sure I want to spend the money on replacing the transfer case....if that's even a good solution.

I'm not sure if I'm even on the right track with my thinking - so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have the complete 1994-1996 YJ MOPAR parts list as a .pdf file if anybody wants it.

str1ker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
str1ker21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer working with help from Dodge VSS

UPDATE:

OK, I think I figured this out...

Sometime in the past, the original 231 transfer case on my 94 YJ was swapped with a 207, so the electronic VSS didn't fit in the transfer case. Someone told me that the VSS from a 92 Dodge W150 p'up would work...if I could get the wiring correct (the 92 Dodge VSS has 2 wires, the 94 YJ VSS has 3 wires). So I bought the 92 Dodge VSS from Autozone for about $32 and it screws on perfectly to the gear housing that is in the 207 transfer case.

I managed to find a wiring diagram for both vehicles, and with some educated guessing managed to connect the correct 2 wires (of the 3 wires going to the YJ VSS) to the 2 wires for my new 92 Dodge VSS. With the back wheels off the ground and spinning, the speedo is now working and the odometer is registering miles.

I'm not sure if the speedo is showing the correct speed yet - will test this with a GPS in the next day or so. If not, maybe I can change the speedo gear to get it right. I'm just happy that the speedo needle moved off of "0 mph" for the first time since I bought the jeep.
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Bshearer25
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1ker21 View Post
UPDATE:

OK, I think I figured this out...

Sometime in the past, the original 231 transfer case on my 94 YJ was swapped with a 207, so the electronic VSS didn't fit in the transfer case. Someone told me that the VSS from a 92 Dodge W150 p'up would work...if I could get the wiring correct (the 92 Dodge VSS has 2 wires, the 94 YJ VSS has 3 wires). So I bought the 92 Dodge VSS from Autozone for about $32 and it screws on perfectly to the gear housing that is in the 207 transfer case.

I managed to find a wiring diagram for both vehicles, and with some educated guessing managed to connect the correct 2 wires (of the 3 wires going to the YJ VSS) to the 2 wires for my new 92 Dodge VSS. With the back wheels off the ground and spinning, the speedo is now working and the odometer is registering miles.

I'm not sure if the speedo is showing the correct speed yet - will test this with a GPS in the next day or so. If not, maybe I can change the speedo gear to get it right. I'm just happy that the speedo needle moved off of "0 mph" for the first time since I bought the jeep.
Whatever happened with your speedo? Did everything work out?? Do you happen to have any pictures? I'm in the same boat right now. 5th gear went out in my original trans so I swapped it out for one out of a Comanche. The Comanche had an NP207 Transfer Case. I didn't think I'd mind not having a speedometer as it's not my daily driver, but after driving it the other day I think I'd rather have it.

Last edited by Bshearer25; 04-04-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Bshearer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Seriously? Can you even read what you typed?
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Bshearer25
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd711 View Post
Seriously? Can you even read what you typed?
No! I tried to pick a different color, but accidently hit this one and then it wouldn't let me change the color so I had to go with it.
Bshearer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
str1ker21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bshearer25, I know this reply is late - but, yes this did work for me. I even confirmed the speedo is tracking the correct speed with my GPS. Let me know if you still need help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.