94 YJ - serpentine squeak - Harmonic Balancer? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-25-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
zsjordan
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 YJ - serpentine squeak - Harmonic Balancer?

Hey guys,

Forgive me if I'm asking an age old question, I'm new to the forum and couldn't find this answer after much searching.

I just bought a used 94 from a local and am having to fix more than anticipated. The jeep has a slight squeak in the pulley system but it's intermittent. By that I mean, there are brief pauses between each squeak. It's quiet though and hasn't been an issue. I drove back from Athens last night (90 minute drive) and by the time I was home, the squeak was unbearably loud and constant. This morning when I started the jeep back up, the squeak was back to quiet and intermittent.

The belt is probably very old but doesn't have a ton of miles on it as the previous driver only used around her farm. The belt does not have any noticeable cracks but does have a bunch of bumpy artifacts within each groove.

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2018.04.27.jpg)

When I studied the pulleys, I noticed that the harmonic balancer seems to be moving back and forth a good bit when the engine is running. When I stop the engine, and try to pull on the balancer by hand, it's tight and doesn't move. The rest of the pulley's were nice and tight when the engine was running.

Is the fix as easy as pulling off the serpentine belt and replacing the harmonic balancer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Reno72
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'd bet it's one of the two pulleys. It's hard to tell with the belt on as it keeps things tight. I'd take the belt off and spin the pulleys, I bet you find your bearings on one or both are shot.

92 Rene, 4.5 RE lift, Currie ARB D44, super 8.8 ARB

YJOTM. 12/15
post #3 of 13 Old 09-25-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
zsjordan
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Reno - very beginner question: how do I know if the bearings are shot? Will it feel like grinding when I spin the pulley?

What other pulley could be bad?

I do not have AC on this guy, so my options are few.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-25-2015, 04:42 PM
mikeyd99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If your harmonic balancer is noticeably moving around with the engine running then you should replace it.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Reno72
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you will know if it's a pulley, it will grind and wooble. I waited too long and the pulley just let go, thankfulley it didn't do any damage. I now carry an extra pulley, they are cheap but will leave you stranded if they fail.
It may be the harmonic, but I'd check the two pulleys first.

92 Rene, 4.5 RE lift, Currie ARB D44, super 8.8 ARB

YJOTM. 12/15
post #6 of 13 Old 09-25-2015, 06:22 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Start by taking the belt off. Its toast. Get a new one.
While its off, give everything a spin and shake. It should all spin smooth, quiet, and no wobbling. Alternator, P/S, water pump, idler wheels, and try the harmonic balancer outer ring now that the belt is not pulling on it. They are famous for the rubber shrinking and either sliding off, or rotating the timing mark out of time.

Replace the idler pulley assembly just because. If the water pump is wobbly or leaking from the weep hole, now is the time to replace it. If the fan wobbles on the clutch shaft, same thing.

Now, before putting your nice new belt on, take a wire brush and degreasing solvent of your choice and scrub the grooves of all your pulleys nice and clean. The smooth pulleys like on the water pump need to be scotch brited to likewise remove all the rust and glaze and grime.

When tightening the belt, it needs to be tighter than seems necessary. Start by getting it to the point where you cant twist the belt past 90 degrees.

It sounds like a lot, but it is a system the cross contaminates itself and if you want reliability, you need to go over the whole thing once, or it will fail one component after another.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #7 of 13 Old 09-26-2015, 02:32 AM
JeepGrinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsjordan View Post
I just bought a used 94 from a local and am having to fix more than anticipated.
Welcome to the forum. Setting belt tension is easier with a gauge. The Gates Krikit tool is inexpensive and can be found on eBay. Get the one having the correct range. Recommended tension for the YJ serp belt is 140-160 lbs.

Your squeak description sounds like what I recently fixed on my 94 YJ. I did replace the belt, but the noise did not stop. Replacing the water pump cured it. When the bearings become worn, the pump impeller can scrape on metal. Replacing the pump is not difficult, and not expensive.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's a real quick way to tell if its the belt. Go to your local auto parts store, and buy some bulb grease. The pic is from Autozone, but other stores sell different brands. It's a small little package, that they usually have by the register. Its about $1.49. Apply some to the flat side of the belt. It doesn't take much. Just put a dollop on one spot, the pulley will spread it around. Turn on the Jeep. If the squeak goes away, its your belt. WD-40 also works, but not as well. From the image you posted, the belt looks pretty worn anyway.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #9 of 13 Old 09-26-2015, 04:06 PM
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a 94 with a 2.5L that had a similar issue to what you are describing. the belt was new so I didnt think it could be the issue. I checked the HB and all the pulleys to make sure everything was aligned and good. The belt was tightened to spec but still the squeak. i tested the belt similar to Mr. Bs method and it was the belt. After I installed a gatorback belt the squeak was gone. To check your HB make a match mark on it with a white paint stick across the surface, then drive it for a while. If the match marks do not align you havre a bad HB. Rerouting the belt and adding a grooved idler has worked for some. I would try a gatorback belt if I were you. If it still squeaks after that at least you have a spare belt as you go on to try other solutions. Good Luck!

2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited X
2005 KJ Liberty
1994 YJ
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
post #10 of 13 Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
zsjordan
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,

SUPER big help. All the suggestions have been fantastic and I am very grateful for the help. I have ordered a gatorback belt, a harmonic balancer, plus a few tools of RockAuto and should be working on this project in a week when the parts arrive.

I did have one additional question that I'm a little iffy on.

Here is a picture of my belt routing diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2023.28.02.jpg

Here is a picture of the pulley system on the front of my block.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...27.27_EDIT.jpg

Using the pulley diagram, I'm led to believe that I am a pulley short (where the red arrow is pointing). I do not have AC, but I was assuming that I'd only be missing the most upper, left pulley.

Should I be adding/replacing this missing pulley when doing this repair on the belt and harmonic balancer?

Thanks again.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No, you're good.

Replace that idler pulley on top of the belt. It looks original and ready to fail. The pulley on the water pump may need to be replaced, too. If it has pits in it after you remove the rust, it will eat away at your new belt.

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #12 of 13 Old 11-25-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
zsjordan
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
No, you're good.

Replace that idler pulley on top of the belt. It looks original and ready to fail. The pulley on the water pump may need to be replaced, too. If it has pits in it after you remove the rust, it will eat away at your new belt.

Hey Drednot - I'm finally having a few days off to do this repair. I can't find the water pump pulley online to purchase. I've looked all over rockauto and autozone.com. Do you have to purchase this within a fan replacement kit?
post #13 of 13 Old 11-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you can fill out your profile, so we know what engine, etc.

luckily, the YJ uses the same pulley in 94 for both engines.

Do a google and ebay search for part number 53007154.
Its pretty much a dealer/junkyard item, but is still readily available online or salvage if you have the time to scrounge one up.

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.