94 YJ No Power to the fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 YJ No Power to the fuel pump

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
jdrivers123
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 YJ No Power to the fuel pump

Ok. So here's my issue. I hope someone can help. I have had my baby (94 YJ 2.5l) for 11 years now. Thanks to threads I have found on this forum I have been able to DIY most everything that has come up. Now I am experiencing "No power to the fuel pump". Here's what I have done this go round. I was having problems with it not wanting to start. Turned over but gave me a hard time getting spark. I changed the plugs, distributor and rotar button. Still no spark. So then I changed the crankshaft position sensor. It ran for 1 day. The next morning there was no hum from the fuel pump. Got a new fuel pump relay. Not the problem. Then I got a friend to help me change the fuel pump. Still not the problem. Pump has no power going to it. I got one of those fuse checkers (sorry, I am no good with electric stuff). A neighbor showed me how to check all of my fuses and relays. THey all have power. I checked the connection by the tank and the ground wire by the e-brake. I have dropped $400 in 5 days and none of it worked. On the other hand I have spare relays and a spare fuel pump. Please help me someone. I love my Jeep and it is my only vehicle to get my daughter to and from school.

jdrivers123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

no spark no fuel?
that usually means 1 of 3 things.
1. CPS
2. ASD
3. PCM

i would say since you have checked the relays and changed the cps then you have a bad pcm.

not a huge deal. you can get them off ebay for less than $100 sometimes.

you can check the ecm by opening up the case and looking at the 3 capacitors on the board. if one of them has a swelled top then this is definitely your problem. since you said it started the symptoms by having lazy starts then i am going to point my finger at this as your problem.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Before you run out and buy a new ECU try this first.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

just turn the key to on and wait for your cel light to come on... when it does (and you hear alot of clicking) your fuel pump should start working again. Also unplug the VSS at the transfer case. There is a known problem with it also.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

All good advice in posts! Check engine light is the first place to start and check your codes.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/

The key is that light!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
jdrivers123
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No power to the fuel pump

Unfortunately, I do not have a check engine light to check codes. I have turned the key on and let it sit but there is no clicking. I get nothing. Where is the VSS (what is that) and how do I get the PCM off the firewall to check for the swelling that was mentioned? Thank you all for responding.
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is your main symptom then. The second link will walk you through what you need to do. You are either not getting power to the ecu on pins 3 and 9(Check your fuses) or you have the bad ecu. The thread walks you though what you need to do. The link TSE posted is for the repair if necessary. Next step is to do the troubleshooting and check the fuses.
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
jdrivers123
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so here is the update. I read all the threads. The soldering stuff is something I would have no idea how to start so I went with the fuse checklist. I had no check engine light so I fiddled with the battery connection and got the light to come back on (YAY). I need to know why that is happening though. I did the key back and forth and was given 12, 33 and 55. Once I knew it wasn't anything helpful I started pulling every fuse from under the dash. I pulled each one and scrubbed it with a wire brush and put it back in. I put the key back in the ignition, turned it forward and smelled gas. The relay never clicked and the pump never hummed though. For kicks and giggled I tried to start it and it fired right up. I drove it to the mechanic who was coming to get it today and he says to keep trying to start it up for the next couple of days and make sure it doesn't present the same problem again. If it does, I have a short somewhere and I need to find it. Any suggestions on why this happened? I was going to order a new computer for it today too. Thank goodness for this forum and all of your help.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have bad cables at the battery. It's a common problem. The pump had to have came on, you just didn't hear it. Clean and grease all the big cable coming off the battery and the grounds too. You shouldn't be smelling any gas. Check to make sure you have no fuel lwaks and the fuel hoses are attached to the charcoal canister under the hood. Cycle the key and wait 20 minutes then depress the valve on the fuel rail. See if fuel still shoots out. If it doesnt then run a fuel pressure test. Pay attention to bleed down time.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
jdrivers123
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have been trying to get it to act up again after I got it started and nothing yet (fingers crossed). As far as the fuel smell, I have always smelled fuel for the 11yrs I have had it. No one has been able to find the reason. I hear the pump and relay now every time I start it :-). I never thought about the whole connection to the battery. That is a lot of wires that go into that one cable off of the terminal. Thank you all again for your help. I will post again if it acts up in the morning after it sits all night. That is what happened last time. Plus, even though I am in Florida it is suppose to get down into the 50's and with the wind chill it will be worse. Fingers crossed everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.