94 YJ Mixed part problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 YJ Mixed part problem

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 YJ Mixed part problem

I am unbelievably frustrated with this and I do not know what to do. The axle shafts got replaced in my 94 with some 87 ones from a parts axle.

Because the axle shafts are from an 87 they have different spacing from the backing plate of the hub, and the whole bracket for the end assembly. This makes it so the rotors are jammed up against the bracket and don't let the wheels spin.

The rotor is too deep so I tried a different rotor kicking around that fit perfectly but this one is too shallow. A happy medium would be perfect.

Now I need to find a couple rotors that will fit with the jeep 5 bolt pattern or some type of spacer holds the rotor off the hub a bit.

My idea was some thick solid washers. Two on each stud behind the rotor itself to space it away from the bracket.

If anyone can help that would be amazing, winter is coming and would love to get my barely rolling 91 YJ off the road!

img_1371.jpg   img_1365.jpg   img_1366.jpg   img_1367.jpg   img_1368.jpg  

demonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Washers/spacers sound like a very bad idea if I understand what you are saying.
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Was the old one working??? If so take it to the parts house and match it up. If not I don't think the washers is a great idea so you really need to find some new parts for that thing from the right year. I have worked on a lot of rigs and done god awful sh$# before but not the brakes.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wouldn't it be easiest/safest to just get the right axle shafts?
Unread 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

to use the old axle shafts I believe you need to change to the old style caliper mounts and calipers.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The only options I can see are:
1. A new passenger axle shaft. ($250 with shipping) (also none in any local wrecking yards, no parted vehicle parts kicking around at all for sale)
2. Replace the whole brake, end mounting unit with the ones off the old axle. (Huge pain in the a**)
3. Finding some rotors that will fit nice and clean. (All they have to be is slightly shallower and they will fit perfect with everything lined up.)
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Where do you live?
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

South western Ontario, Canada.
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh boy. I'd say I'd go to my local yard and get you one but shipping for you would be killer.

What about deleting the vacuum disconnect and use a xj shaft? Just another idea
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm confused. I haven't messed with a D30 in a long time, but I don't see how the length of the axle shaft is affecting the brake rotor. It rides on a unit bearing and the shaft bolts through the center of the unit bearing. The brake rotor isn't attached to any other part iirc.

*Edit* Sounds more like there is an issue with the unit bearing or the way it was installed.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well the whole assembly on the end of the D30 axle is different apparently. 87-89 is different than the 90-95's. The whole bracket, axle shaft/unit bearing.

The XJ/ TJ shaft swap would work, but I can't find either of those also.. :/
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep
It rides on a unit bearing and the shaft bolts through the center of the unit bearing. The brake rotor isn't attached to any other part iirc.

*Edit* Sounds more like there is an issue with the unit bearing or the way it was installed.
Ah ha! I have an idea

Just for fun look at the other side and make sure all your brackets mirror each other.

Could be something is on the wrong side of the assembly
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The issue is on both sides, exactly the same. When the wheels are snugged up the rotor gets pushed into position which is right into the bracket. This is because the axle shafts out of the 87's spacing in 3/4 - 1 inch off. Thats it.. :/
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Dd you replace just the shafts, or the sealed bearing/hub assembly as well?
Unread 11-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
demonz0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Everything. Its the distance from the backing plate of the wheel bolts and the triangle 3 bolts that attach it to the whole bracket. If i took the u joints apart and used the 94 hub/bearing shaft after the u joint that would fix the spacing issue... I'll have to try that. Now, to get those u joints apart without breaking the damn arms again... lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.