94 yj Frame rust by rear shackle. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 yj Frame rust by rear shackle.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 yj Frame rust by rear shackle.

So i started hearing a squeak/creek from the rear end last week. After a quick inspection, i found the frame where the rear drivers side shackle bolts on is rusting out.

Hoping to get some advise on the proper way to repair this. Should i simply cut out the old rust and get one of the pre-cut frame re-enforcement kits I've seen around here? This seems like the easiest method to me, but i've never done frame repairs before, so im pretty clueless.

I know one of the POs of this particular rig already patched the rear frame on both sides, and it looks like he did a good job. The rust thats plaguing her now is a couple inches behind the patch job.

Heres a visual, let me know if you need a better pic.

Thanks
Jon.

*In the picture you can kind of see the other spot of rust. About the size of a quarter on the bottom of the frame.

frame-rot.jpg  
JeepJon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The pre cut patches are a good solution but before doing anything I would inspect the remainder of the frame and perhaps consider a full swap.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I took a screwdriver to the rest of the frame, that rear corner is the only problem area i've come across. Everything else looks pretty sound.

I hope a full swap isnt necessary for such a small area.
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here is another pic, slightly different angle...
frame-rot-2.jpg  
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to work now. I'll be back this evening. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is what my passenger rear looked like. I opted for the Auto Rust Technicians pre-fabbed pieces. It is a common problem and most either opt for using the ART parts or cutting/piecing together their own. You can see what I did with mine beginning with post #4 in my build thread if you like. (too many pics to post here)

Unread 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
jgrubb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on mine, welded a 8 inch steel plate along each side, grinded the rust off and sealed some of the frame holes so water wouldnt pool in there anymore. Had the jeep balanced and aligned after that and now rides great
jgrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
JeepJon15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Thats what i was hoping to hear.

Firefighter, i'll definatly check out your thread, hope to get to fixing it this weekend

Untill then i'll be driving her daily hah.

Tags
frame repair , rust repair , shackles , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.