94 yj cat problems?, solution? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 yj cat problems?, solution?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Closed Thread
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

94 yj cat problems?, solution?

today, after noticing a rattle comming from my catalytic converter a few days earlier, i was offroading and when i got halfway home my jeep started to run as if it was being choked or something. i checked and all cylinders are firing, so im pretty sure its my cat.
i started my jeep and my dads and we both have the 4.0s and at idle his had wayyy more flow from the tailpipe than mine, and the exhaust is fairly new, so like i said, im thinking the catalytic converter.

anyways, im looking for the best solution here. jegs has 2 1/4 inch magnaflow high flow cats for 90 bucks, but those are all ive looked at. At the end of summer im moving to alabama and they dont check emissions, and im already good here in GA for another year, so would it just be best to take off the cat and just run a new pipe?

all opinions are appreciated, thanks!!

yjryne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i need help please!
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

buy a replacement factory cat.
erockz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Get a high flow cat or a factory replacement. Regardless of state, it is against federal law to remove a cat converter from a rig that came with one from the factory.

And, as a warning to those that may support it, it is against forum rules to discuss the removal of or support removing the cat converter.

Honestly, get a new cat. Your motor will like you and you wont be adding all that crap to the environment.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Get a high flow cat or a factory replacement. Regardless of state, it is against federal law to remove a cat converter from a rig that came with one from the factory.

And, as a warning to those that may support it, it is against forum rules to discuss the removal of or support removing the cat converter.

Honestly, get a new cat. Your motor will like you and you wont be adding all that crap to the environment.
I agree with you. I'm a CT emissions inspector and certified repair technician. Its illegal for me to even suggest to somebody to remove their cat. lol
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjryne View Post
today, after noticing a rattle coming from my catalytic converter a few days earlier, i was offroading and when i got halfway home my jeep started to run as if it was being choked or something. i checked and all cylinders are firing, so im pretty sure its my cat.
i started my jeep and my dads and we both have the 4.0s and at idle his had Way more flow from the tailpipe than mine, and the exhaust is fairly new, so like i said, im thinking the catalytic converter.

anyways, im looking for the best solution here. jegs has 2 1/4 inch magnaflow high flow cats for 90 bucks, but those are all ive looked at. At the end of summer im moving to alabama and they don't check emissions, and I'm already good here in GA for another year, so would it just be best to take off the cat and just run a new pipe?

all opinions are appreciated, thanks!!
Your symptoms do suggest that the cat may be bad. Make sure the replacement is a three-way as your model year YJ does not have an EGR system and this is compensated for with the three-way cat. Any discussion about running with out a cat is frowned upon on this forum as it is against federal law. There is no performance gains to be had by running without a cat. Even if your local emissions laws do not check for it, by law, you need to run with one.
edit... damn I type slow, Rusty already chimed in on the legality.
idaholtby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

alright, so its looking like i ought to get a cat, but now id have to ask what type people recomend. factory replacement is probably pretty expensive, at least when compared to less than 100 bucks for magnaflow.

three way cat, whats that?

whats everyone recommend?
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
bigjoe27
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If your cat is stock bring to a recycling place(cash for scrap metal should get you $30+ dollars) and then get one off ebay for under $100 dollars got one on all my vehicles for next to nothing after scrapping the old one and pass emmisions fine if not better.
bigjoe27 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
bigjoe27
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Magnaflows is actually what I run never had a problem on 4 differant vehicles not just jeep and if your running a free flowing exhaust get a universal cat to match the diameter and get more flow.
bigjoe27 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjryne View Post
alright, so its looking like i ought to get a cat, but now id have to ask what type people recomend. factory replacement is probably pretty expensive, at least when compared to less than 100 bucks for magnaflow.

three way cat, whats that?

whats everyone recommend?
I say go full cat back performance exhaust since performance seems to be your goal.
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

three way cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockz View Post
I say go full cat back performance exhaust since performance seems to be your goal.
ive got a thrush welded muffler with new tailpipe and its two and a quarter inch pipe, so a cat of the same diameter should just match up. but i still dont know anything about this three way cat??
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

With a 4.0 you will need a 3 way cat. The 2 way is meant for earlier configurations that were able to remove NOX in a different way, but the fuel injected engine will need the 3 way - insist on it, a lot of parts shops will give you a 2 way and you'll fail your next emissions test.

You don't need an OEM cat, you can use a generic 3 way as long as you have access to a welder to put the right flange on it, the rest of the connections can be made with clamps & couplings - this is the cheapest way to go if you can weld, otherwise get one that's bolt-in ready (you'll need the gasket for the connection to the exhaust pipe) and use clamps to connect it to the muffler.
Alfons is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I think the OP has his answers.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Tags
cat , catalytic converter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.