Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

94 yj build...too broke to build a workbench

45K views 375 replies 33 participants last post by  flashy 
#1 ·
I figured I might as well start a thread for this build. I have learned so much on here that I figured I would share some of my knowledge.
I bought the Jeep after a semi ran a stop sign and I totaled out my truck. Being in Wisconsin, it had the regular rust issues but it had the 4.0 and auto. On the ride home I lost the exhaust and the brakes.
I got it home and the work started.
I dont have any pictures from the first month. I fixed the brake lines, fuel lines and all fluids changed, etc. I drove it around for a month but everytime I got out I looked to see if the frame was broke.
Finally, my wife looked at me and said "why dont you take the body off and fix it right" That was all I needed to hear and that is when the project started. 30 min later I had the body off!!
I had a really tight budget (doesnt everyone) $1200 for everything! So I started coming up with a plan. Here is the initial build list.

*fix rust on frame
*waggie springs
*MML and tranny crossmemeber
*move body mounts up, instead of BML
*31" tires
*coat inside and underside of tub

See less See more
#2 ·
Updated build list

Most of that stuff is still being done but there has been much more added or upgraded.

*35" treadwright tires on 17x9 black rock rims
*SOA
*shackle reversal
*shock hoops holding 14" travel skyjacker nitro shocks
*8.8 rear end 3.73 lsd

I started this build on 01/17/2013 and have taken lots of pictures so when I get home I will post sum pictures. I am about half way done with this stage of the build.

#5 ·
Ok finally...here are some pics! This is the day that I bought it 12/17/12 remember that date it. The 17th comes up again. Bright green, the kid said it was X-box colors.

Attachments

#6 ·
Here it is after painting the green and redoing all the brake lines, fuel lines and exhaust, replaced all the fluids and filters...just a general tune up.

Attachments

#7 ·
I know that this isnt a jeep but this was my truck a week after I got it and minutes after the accident.

Attachments

#8 ·
Here is the MAIN rust issues. Nothing new, general Wrangler rust. This was after I was pounding on it with a 3lb sledge and a chisel

Attachments

#9 ·
Ok after a lot of reading and talking and thinking.....the wife said we should pull the body off and fix it right. My brother in law agreed that he would be right there to help. Here is the dismantling. Does everyone who has a red jeep paint them black?

Attachments

#10 ·
I started ordering parts. Since I was laid up from the accident, I had a lot of time to research and plan so I new what parts to order. Time to get some metal and start building.

Attachments

#11 ·
Thank you to Micheal for getting the seats and rollbars and windshield off....I dont think one bolt actually came out, they either broke or we had to cut them

Attachments

#14 ·
Finally got the bolts out and the rear end out...time to get to work on the frame. On the right there is a bottle with tranny fluid and acetone. Works way better than anything else for getting rusted stuff loose.

Attachments

#19 ·
Fabbing up the rear frame rails....no straight cuts...the hardest part is that they dont sell 4x2 1/12 tubing so I had to fit 4x2 tubing to it. I actually slid the new frame rail inside the old one, you can see on the new piece the top and bottom are cut off so the slide in.

Attachments

#25 ·
For the rear crossmember I decided to use 3/16 4' channel....I ended up cutting the extra off and making it flush with the frame. Checking to make sure the gas tank still fits....I also moved that up about 1".

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.