Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

94 YJ build thread

18K views 114 replies 16 participants last post by  AZdEvilYJ 
#1 ·
I started this thread over a yr ago but didnt really keep it coming. Things were moving very slow. It's been a yr n a half now since i've had the jeep and i've had the time to do a lot more. Now is probably a good time to edit/revive this thread. I hope some of this can help someone out there.
i started out as a complete novice. I'm quite a bit more confident nowadays wrench/fabricating but i'm still a noob compared to many members on this forum. Anyways, here goes nothing...

Here's the jeep 2 days after I bought it...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See less See more
#2 ·
The first thing I did was pull the carpet and clean it. Tub looked real nice. minimal rust all over

#3 ·
Throwout bearing went up after 300 miles of purchase. Putting in a new clutch kit became my first job on any vehicle i ever owned...

It was tough. i didnt have too many tools and everything was seized/rusted... I also realized that the new clutch was gonna be just the tip of the iceberg.

#4 ·
i gave her new to me wheels. 31s and no lift. I thought she looked awesome... lol.... that didnt last long.

#5 ·
Put together a new exhaust. flowmaster super 40 w/ hiflow cat. Pretty loud but i like it.

#6 ·

Swapped the old rusted windshield frame for a new one. Ended up destroying a perfectly good windshield and dumping my VIN plate... I'm an idiot

#7 ·
4" RC lift. Had them on for a yr now. They started out stiff but are now pretty good. Flex surprisingly well offroad. Good for the price. But when the time comes i'll most likely upgrade to something else. BDS? SOA? Coils? We'll see...

#8 ·
It always give you great feeling to know that when it works, you did it. If it doesn't work, at least you know that you're responsible. Your Heep looks to be in pretty good shape. A whole lot better than mine when I bought it.
What kind of plans do you have for it? Lifts? New axles?

#9 ·
I did a little bit of rust control/repair on the frame in some areas. Then I put in a SYE.

which reminds me, i'm getting a new chain this week. My current one is rattling in there. No good.

#10 ·
Put on some used 33s, got some new rims, new bumpers, cleaned her up a bit and this is what i was left with... Altho that wouldnt last long.

She actually looked real clean there.

#11 ·
Next up, i decided to dump the D35 and get the oh so popular 8.8. It was my first structural welding. Could've been worse...
Anyways, cut off mounts and perches, ground to bare metal, welded in the new beefy mounts/perches after measuring and mucking everything, replaced all ebrake/brake hardware, primed, painted and put her under there. I didnt touch the gears since a re-gear and OX locker were in my future.

By the way, i used a harbor freight 220v flux welder for this.

Welded some upside down bolts on the tubes to secure the brake lines. Those were replaced by SS braided brake lines at the same time. Sry no pic.

#12 ·
Next up i did something that most of you will shake ur heads at. But you know what? i dont care. it's my Jeep, I do as i please with it.. Anyways, altho I can tolerate the square headlights, i really love the round ones. And it got to the point where it too late to go back. This was already my baby. So i went from this...

To this:

To this:

#13 ·
I then went ahead and installed a 1" Daystar BL and shortly added 5/8" MORE greasable shackles in the rear and BSERK's shackles in the front. This gave me the clearance to pop some Dick Cepek Mud Country 35x12.5 under her. GREAT shoes.

At this point, i had been working on her for about year and still hadnt taken her wheeling. Needless to say I was ITCHING to go wheeling.

Attachments

#14 ·
Those fenders were rusted thru in the usual spots and really didnt blend in too well with the TJ front clip. But that was a non-issue since homemade tube fenders were on the list of things to do.

I like how it came out... a lot. I also purchased a warn VR8000 winch and winch mounting plate in the mean time.

#16 ·
At this point, i purchase 4.88 gears and an OX locker for the 8.8. Also got the electric actuator for it. This is the one job that i gave to a professional altho i see myself tackling a regear myself (with the help of a knowledgeable friend) in the future. I really want to learn. Anyways, it was time to go wheeling again.

Attachments

#17 ·
I also installed some A to Z fab rock sliders. U can see that in the lastest wheeling pics. That OX locker is MONEY btw. Engages/Disengages flawlessly with the push of a button. I like it so much that i'm getting one in the front as well.

#18 ·
Anyways, next up was the A to Z roll cage. I used my crappy flux welder to put it together. It burns very hot but makes ugly welds unless you're welding flat. This was by far the toughest welding project i ever undertook. AFTER i was done, i realized that i couldve done a MUCH better job fitting all the tubing together which would have in turn made the welding process easier. I came out with some good welds and some pretty ****ty ones. I've left it as is for now mainly because i truly believe that it would hold up well in the event of a rollover but i'll be grinding down a fair number of those welds and re-do it.

#19 ·
I primed the cage for now so it doesnt rust. I'll address the issues with the cage in the spring. in the mean time, I got a few things for the jeep including a PSC trail stinger, GenRight bumper plate, rear corner guards and I did a little paint and plastidip work to blend things together better.

I also swapped in an AX15 from a Cherokee with about 80k miles on it (compared to the 193K on my ax15) to freshen things up. I also have a new chain for my TC on the way. I also ordered some 1-piece chromoly shafts. i'll be cancelling the vacuum disco soon. Front OX locker will be ordered probably at the end of the month when I have the funds. I'll also be doing some frame repair by the rear shock mounts this week and overall frame maintenance. I'm also looking at making a truss for my HP30 and seeing about adding some C gussets. WJ knuckles/brakes along with a steering upgrade are in the works.... i'll try to update this stuff once I get the work done.

#20 ·
Needless to say, i'm itching to go wheeling again. Unfortunately i cant go as much as I want since i have to drive 3 hrs in any direction to get to a legal wheeling spot. But i try to go as much as possible...

#22 ·
Thanks man. Now if only i can get this damn clunky rattling issue resolved before my wheeling trip this sunday... gaaaah...

#23 ·
stratostix said:
Thanks man. Now if only i can get this damn clunky rattling issue resolved before my wheeling trip this sunday... gaaaah...
I feel Ya there. I have a coolant leak somewhere on the front of the block either pump or t-stat making my pulleys squeek, and my motor mount and exhaust mount broke so I've got all kinds of rattles. All started this week.

All my school and work leave zero down time

#25 ·
Today I worked on fixing the frame at the passenger upper shock mount. I cleaned up the area. Cut around the rotted hole. I cut a T-section of new frame metal and started welding the new mount on there. It sure is nice welding flat again after putting the roll cage together... All of this is flux welded. Don't have a tank for now, so i'm using flux wire.

Poke around ur mounts and fix them now before they get any worse. They're veritable rust traps...

#26 ·
Got it all welded onto the frame today. I'll be continuing the frame work (everything else is lookin pretty good, just want to prevent future rust) once i get my rustbullet in the mail.

The inside part.

#28 ·
Thanks! My attention to detail as far as metal prep has gone up. As a result, my weld quality has gone up as well. I've begun to realize that prep is 90% of the battle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.