94 YJ build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 YJ build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I started this thread over a yr ago but didnt really keep it coming. Things were moving very slow. It's been a yr n a half now since i've had the jeep and i've had the time to do a lot more. Now is probably a good time to edit/revive this thread. I hope some of this can help someone out there.
i started out as a complete novice. I'm quite a bit more confident nowadays wrench/fabricating but i'm still a noob compared to many members on this forum. Anyways, here goes nothing...

Here's the jeep 2 days after I bought it...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The first thing I did was pull the carpet and clean it. Tub looked real nice. minimal rust all over

Unread 07-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Throwout bearing went up after 300 miles of purchase. Putting in a new clutch kit became my first job on any vehicle i ever owned...

It was tough. i didnt have too many tools and everything was seized/rusted... I also realized that the new clutch was gonna be just the tip of the iceberg.
Unread 07-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i gave her new to me wheels. 31s and no lift. I thought she looked awesome... lol.... that didnt last long.

Unread 07-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Put together a new exhaust. flowmaster super 40 w/ hiflow cat. Pretty loud but i like it.

Unread 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Swapped the old rusted windshield frame for a new one. Ended up destroying a perfectly good windshield and dumping my VIN plate... I'm an idiot
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4" RC lift. Had them on for a yr now. They started out stiff but are now pretty good. Flex surprisingly well offroad. Good for the price. But when the time comes i'll most likely upgrade to something else. BDS? SOA? Coils? We'll see...

Unread 07-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
94YJ4L
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It always give you great feeling to know that when it works, you did it. If it doesn't work, at least you know that you're responsible. Your Heep looks to be in pretty good shape. A whole lot better than mine when I bought it.
What kind of plans do you have for it? Lifts? New axles?
94YJ4L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did a little bit of rust control/repair on the frame in some areas. Then I put in a SYE.

which reminds me, i'm getting a new chain this week. My current one is rattling in there. No good.
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:17 AM   #10
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Put on some used 33s, got some new rims, new bumpers, cleaned her up a bit and this is what i was left with... Altho that wouldnt last long.

She actually looked real clean there.

Unread 07-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Next up, i decided to dump the D35 and get the oh so popular 8.8. It was my first structural welding. Could've been worse...
Anyways, cut off mounts and perches, ground to bare metal, welded in the new beefy mounts/perches after measuring and mucking everything, replaced all ebrake/brake hardware, primed, painted and put her under there. I didnt touch the gears since a re-gear and OX locker were in my future.

By the way, i used a harbor freight 220v flux welder for this.

Welded some upside down bolts on the tubes to secure the brake lines. Those were replaced by SS braided brake lines at the same time. Sry no pic.

Unread 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Next up i did something that most of you will shake ur heads at. But you know what? i dont care. it's my Jeep, I do as i please with it.. Anyways, altho I can tolerate the square headlights, i really love the round ones. And it got to the point where it too late to go back. This was already my baby. So i went from this...

To this:

To this:

Unread 07-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I then went ahead and installed a 1" Daystar BL and shortly added 5/8" MORE greasable shackles in the rear and BSERK's shackles in the front. This gave me the clearance to pop some Dick Cepek Mud Country 35x12.5 under her. GREAT shoes.

At this point, i had been working on her for about year and still hadnt taken her wheeling. Needless to say I was ITCHING to go wheeling.
zakacrawl_19aug2012-2-.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those fenders were rusted thru in the usual spots and really didnt blend in too well with the TJ front clip. But that was a non-issue since homemade tube fenders were on the list of things to do.

I like how it came out... a lot. I also purchased a warn VR8000 winch and winch mounting plate in the mean time.

Unread 07-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
titosgreen95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

haha if you think 16 bucks for that is bad... you better hope nothing happens to your headlight adjustment screws
titosgreen95yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.