94 YJ Automatic. Vibes Under load? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 YJ Automatic. Vibes Under load?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
ConstantProject

94 YJ Automatic. Vibes Under load?

I have a 2.5L Auto YJ that has just recently developed a bad vibration under acceleration between 31 & 35 miles per hour if I take my foot off the gas it stops completely. It developed Tues of this week. Anyway I took it to a trusted mechanic we have worked with for years, he says its my rear pinion bearing, I'm not sure I believe him because all he did was drive it for a few minutes to determine this he wants to charge me 950 to fix it. No noises are coming from rear end, and the only thing I found odd was that the diff fluid is a peanut butter color and has a very foul smell as well as a small leak from the pinion seals. I'm at a loss here so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you need more details I can try my best.

ConstantProject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
ConstantProject

Sorry, the vibration is felt mostly through the steering wheel. You can actually see it bouncing a good inch up and down.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

lay under the back and grab the driveshaft and yank it around while watching the end going into the diff. it shouldn't flop around
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
bill8bud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantProject View Post
No noises are coming from rear end, and the only thing I found odd was that the diff fluid is a peanut butter color and has a very foul smell as well as a small leak from the pinion seals.
Sound like you may water in your diff fluid also............
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
ConstantProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill8bud View Post
Sound like you may water in your diff fluid also............
Could the water in the fluid have ruined my bearings? Another conundrum on how the water got in there I put all new fluid in it a year ago and I have never been around any sort of deep water. Will have to check the rear shaft after work.
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
pbmustache
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like same thing that happened in my 93. My rear u joints were bad.
pbmustache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
ConstantProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
lay under the back and grab the driveshaft and yank it around while watching the end going into the diff. it shouldn't flop around
Going to have to check rear shaft after work, will post what I find.
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check the usual. Usually vibration in the seat is the rear of the jeep. Vibration in the steering wheel is the front of the jeep. Start with the obvious. Check for play in that pinion bearing since you were already advised by a mechanic that it is an issue. You need to have the jeep in neutral when you check. You may even need to remove the driveshaft at the pinion to get a good feel.

Otherwise, check for play in your front end components. Ball joints, unit/hub bearings, tie rod/drag link ends, etc...
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
ConstantProject

Got a short break. Went out and strangled a few things under the jeep. The only thing that moved was the transmission a little, I guess the rubber bushings it sits on have give? I have to take it to my garage with a lift tomorrow maybe ill find something. I'll keep you posted, thanks for the feedback so far.
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Idk if the trans bushings should be giving. I knw my trans mount is bad that I can literally get under my jeep, grab the tail shaft, and move the transmission side to side. This also explains why upon take off my yj would shutter alittle. If ujoints are possibly failing might want to address that soon . My ujoint that connects shaft to rear axle pinion went bad and I waited too long to replace it. The result was during my 40 mile commute to work around 3:50am my ujoints finally failed which caused my driveshaft to fall out in middle of pitch black nowhere on hwy. Yes I was stranded. My yj is auto too.
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My 32RH only vibes during acceleration from a dead stop to roughly 10 mph under a good load. If I'm soft on it, no vibes whatsoever. I'm going to change out my rear U-Joint next week to see if that is the culprit. I've asked and asked and never got a definitive answer. So it's about time for me to pull the trigger.
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

While accelerating, I'm feeling just a bit of vibration on the floorboard. I just replaced the u-joints and trans. mount. I wonder if I installed the trans. mount torque bolt wrong?
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
ConstantProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
Idk if the trans bushings should be giving. I knw my trans mount is bad that I can literally get under my jeep, grab the tail shaft, and move the transmission side to side.
Mine isn't that bad, just a little movement on the bushings but I suppose a little movement with a lot of weight can be to much. Like I said m off today so I'm gonna put the jeep on a lift and see what I can find. Hopefully its not anything real bad. If so there may be a jeep for sale with an extra part to fix the problem. I must have spent 5k on it last year on 4 torque converters and a trans rebuild alone.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
utaw93yj4me
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if that solves your problem let me know I get the same vibe just at stop to accelerate and If I take it slow it doesnt vibe at all its been that way for 2 years now and no one can tell me for sure what it is, so Im curious if the ujoints take care of your problem, Good Luck
utaw93yj4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, it seems quite a few of us have a gremlin that no one can figure out. I'd love to know what is causing this? How many of us have a 4" lift and TC drop?

Tags
differential , drive line vibration , rear axle , vibration on acceleration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.