94 wrangler trans problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 wrangler trans problem

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
bucksmontweldin

94 wrangler trans problem

I have wanted a jeep as long as i can remember. Finally I have one. The only problem is I cant drive it yet. It is a 94 wrangler with the 4cylinder and auto trans. It shift into reverse with no issues and gos in drive no slippage in either but just revs up in first and never switches gears. I checked fluid and it looks good and is the proper level. There is also no check engine lights on. I'm praying one of you smart fellas will tell me some stuff to check and the out come wont be a new trans or it will be sitting a long time until I can afford that. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and can fix just about anything I just dont know much about auto transmissions or jeeps. Please please help.

bucksmontweldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey bud, welcome to the forum and welcome to non stop issues as a YJ owner! lol As for your post, *****BUMP***** thats the best I can do for ya, as I don't know much at all about auto transmissions however, check out the search function if nobody else comments. Best of luck to ya!
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
bucksmontweldin

Thanks for the welcome

I'm hoping there is a few test i can perform with a meter on electrical connections to the trans or someone will read who has had the same problem. I tried searching for past post but nothing came up that was the same. If anyone has a trans i could swap in exchange for fabrication machining or welding that would be great too. Iv built a complete machine/weld shop at my home over the years and have worked in one the last 13. Or just needs some work done let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
drewyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a bad torque converter, not 100% sure tho.
if you put it in drive and floor it and the rpm goes up but you dont move as fast as you should
it would be slipping, witch in an auto tranny
could be caused by the torque converter.
drewyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
bucksmontweldin

Like I said there was no slipping it drove fine in first and reverse it just wouldn't shift to second then third. Anyhow I fixed it by putting a heavier spring on the trans where the cable from the throttle linkage connects. A new water pump installed and the turtle is ready to go.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.