94 wrangler 4x4 problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 wrangler 4x4 problem

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Sloater95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

94 wrangler 4x4 problem

I have a 94 Jeep wrangler and as i got stuck, my 4wd wouldnt work. Its got the vacuum lock system. What could my problems be?

Sloater95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

probably the vacuum actuator, mine is bad again so I am in the process of removing in and going to a 1 piece from an XJ

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

x2 on the actuator.

also, check the vacuum swith on the transfer case to make sure the vacuum lines are hooked up. Maybe even follow the lines to see if they are cracked.
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jack up the front right tire. Put in Neutral. Put transfer case in 2wd. Start the engine. You should be able to spin the front tire and front driveshaft will not spin. Put in 4wd and repeat. Either it won't spin or it will spin and the front drive shaft will spin I don't remember but it will obviously be different if it is working.

If that doesn't work, then unplug the vacuum lines and switch the 4wd back and forth and feel for vacuum switching back and forth in the lines. If you don't, either the lines or the switch on the transfer case is bad.

If that doesn't work, then get some hose and hook straight to manifold vacuum and try switching it back and forth between the two ports on the vacuum motor and see if you can get it to lock and unlock. Or you could use a vacuum pump if you got a good one of those. If that doesn't work, the vacuum motor is bad or the fork is messed up somehow. Take the vacuum motor off and look at it and test it with the vacuum hose.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quick fix

Unread 05-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Quick fix
What is this we are kooking at?

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
ReddDawg
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloater95 View Post
I have a 94 Jeep wrangler and as i got stuck, my 4wd wouldnt work. Its got the vacuum lock system. What could my problems be?
Did your 4WD light come on? When I got mine the front vacuum lines were jacked up. Didn't take long to fix them. First time I put them on I put them on backwards so my 4WD light was on in 2WD. There is also an electrical connector on the actuator - make sure it's plugged in.

If that's all good check to see if you are getting vacuum there. Then check the t-case. There is an electrical connector and a 4 port vacuum connector going to it.
ReddDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
What is this we are looking at?
That's how you fix your vacuum actuator in twenty minutes and have a faux solid passenger shaft. Thought you knew about this little trick...
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's how you fix your vacuum actuator in twenty minutes and have a faux solid passenger shaft. Thought you knew about this little trick...
does this trick bypass the vacuum? do you have a write up or is it easy to explain? I'd like to try it out
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Someone has a write up from a long time ago. I stumbled upon it on my own trying to get around the vacuum problem. I've written it down so many times I should have started a thread by now.
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Someone has a write up from a long time ago. I stumbled upon it on my own trying to get around the vacuum problem. I've written it down so many times I should have started a thread by now.
i hear ya...i'll see if i can find it. Thanks
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, but I have the solution to my problem in the mail Plus, the right front seal is leaking as I noticed the other day while trying to get that manual actuator working. So I'll kill 2 birds with one seal ... oh I mean stone...

Unread 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
No, but I have the solution to my problem in the mail Plus, the right front seal is leaking as I noticed the other day while trying to get that manual actuator working. So I'll kill 2 birds with one seal ... oh I mean stone...
It may take a while, I didn't spend much on shipping...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.