94 Wrangler 2.5L any advice on lift and gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 94 Wrangler 2.5L any advice on lift and gears

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-03-2001, 12:06 PM   #1
batman

94 Wrangler 2.5L any advice on lift and gears

I have read many of the forums on lifts and things of that nature. Because I want to do the best most economical thing for my Jeep. I want like everyone else the 33' tires. My first thoughts were a body lift because it's inexpensive and doesn't require many other mods to get back to stock ride. I probably will only be an occasional off roader any thoughts to body lifts vs. suspension lifts. I think I'm going to get 4.88 gears. I'm not sure what brand and I was wondering what the advantage to 4.88 would be to 4.56. Also which is more fuel effecient. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

94 YJ 2.5L, 4" superlift, 33" Radial MT, wet okole seat covers, Sunrider soft top, front and rear light guards, billet grill, clarion cd player, 2-10" RF subs, soundbar, tb spacer. Thats all I can afford with school.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2001, 11:53 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Most of the hard core wheelers will say stay away from a body lift .. it becomes the last thing to do to your vehicle. The way I lifted my Jeep was with a 4" suspension lift from SuperLift .. its stiff, but probably will not sag and cause body/tire rubbing.

After suspension lift is maxed out, some will start with some minor body mods by removing the stock YJ fender flares and putting on the larger TJ fender flares .. allows more wheel size.

Finally, after both of those are completly maxed out .. then a 3" body lift is the max that you can do without changing your stearing shaft ...

As far as gearing goes .. the bigger the tires, the harder it is to turn them (give the little engine a workout). The higher the ratio of gear, the easier the engine needs to work to turn them .. meaning a bit better gas milage. You won't be able to smoke the tires or race, no matter the gearing with the little engine (that could), but it could make for a bit more enjoyable drive down the highway.

Hope this helps a bit
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2001, 12:43 AM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, you pretty much cannot talk about fuel economy when you're asking how to get 33" tires under your Jeep. Nothing you do is gonna get you a whole lot of fuel economy when you start raising the vehicle higher off the ground, turning larger tires and running lower gears.

In your case, with the 2.5L, I'd steer clear of any lift kits known for a stiff ride. It is magnified in the lighter 4 banger Jeep.

In your 2.5L you have 4.10 gears now. It is pretty much a waste of money to go from 4.10s to 4.56s. Not even half a turn better and not worth the expense in my opinion. So if you're going to bother, bother with 4.88s. You'll at least get something for your investment.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2001, 04:59 AM   #4
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I agree whith what these guy's have said. For a lift, I'd suggest a 4.5" Extreme Duty from Rubicon Express. You'll want at least 4" for those 33's with room to spare. As for gears, you can get away with 33's and stock 4.10/4.11's for a while. Took me 5 years to finally change my gears. If you're not planning on going with bigger tires then 4.56's would be ok. But like what Matt said, you might as well go with 4.88's now that they're out. the only exception would be if you have a automatic. Those have 3.73:I gears and 4.88 might make you rev too high for freeways.

Right now I'm turning 35's with 4.56:1 gears on my 2.5L. Not optimal but does fine for me. Get's 18mpg still too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.