'94 radio wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '94 radio wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
jbbaker
1994 YJ Wrangler 

'94 radio wiring

I have a '94 YJ and for the past year my radio has been working off and on. It goes through spells where it will work perfectly and at times it will just flicker on and off for roughly 2 second increments.

I wasn't sure if it was the radio (an old pioneer) so I bought a new one today. After changing the harnesses and plugging in the new radio the same problem continued. I checked the 3 main wires, battery (yellow), acc (red), and ground wires. I used a light circuit tester to check the battery/acc wires and it held a steady glow. The radio is plugged straight into the "clock" fuse in my fuse box. The fuse in the back of the radio is good too. I've even redone the wiring connections and the ground. I'm out of ideas...

Please anything would help. I hope I gave enough information. My KC Daylighters have also stopped working. I wouldn't think them to be related problems though, since they are different parts of the electrical system.

Thanks in advance.

JB

jbbaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
JeepJourney1624
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same exact problem. Although the radio i have is a newer model. I think maybe its time to take it to an electrical expert.
JeepJourney1624 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is the faceplate detachable? If it is, those pins can also get dirty and cause problems.
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would run a wire directly from the battery to test it.. This will let you know if it is the radio or another issue in your electrical wiring..
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
jbbaker
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. I tried a brand new radio and the same problem occurred so I don't think it's the pins on the face plate. I improved some of the wire connections and managed to get steady power to the radio, however; it now shorts out at a certain volume. Could it not be receiving enough power? I only have 2 6x9 and 2 6 1/2" speakers.

If I don't get it fixed by the end of the week I may have to give up and take it to someone.
jbbaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
predat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you do a quick run over on all the connectors leading to the speakers? Might be a loose solder on the speakers themselves, perhaps at a certain volume, the connection is lost or is crossing, causing the short. I'd also check the specs on the stereo, see if the amperage is distributed correctly, do you have an amp? If so, check it's capability and connections. If not, then have you considered the possibility that you might not have enough amperage from your stereo itself?

Just some thoughts I had running through my head about past experiences I've had with electronics in general.
predat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbaker View Post
Thanks for the responses. I tried a brand new radio and the same problem occurred so I don't think it's the pins on the face plate. I improved some of the wire connections and managed to get steady power to the radio, however; it now shorts out at a certain volume. Could it not be receiving enough power? I only have 2 6x9 and 2 6 1/2" speakers.

If I don't get it fixed by the end of the week I may have to give up and take it to someone.
Sounds like it might be an impedance issue. You might be running 2 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm output.. I had that issue on an amp when I hooked up my sub.. I thought I had switched it to 2 ohms but it was on 4 ohms.. When I would turn up the volume past a certain level, the amp would shut down.. Once I switched it to 2 ohms, it fixed this issue.. Just an idea..
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I actually have the EXACT problem in my '94, with an old pioneer deck. Just today I took it to a local car audio shop... Guy says $200 bucks will get my speakers replaced, he'll fix the wiring issues, and another 100 will get me a new deck...
[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical issue , electrical problem , power , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.