'94 Keeps Blowing Fuse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '94 Keeps Blowing Fuse

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
ThatHumble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

'94 Keeps Blowing Fuse

My 94 Jeep Wrangler is currently blowing the 30 amp fuse that controls the fuel system.

Here is a little background on the problem. I was driving in a parking lot when the engine just stopped working. I still had radio/lights ect. We dragged the jeep home to find that it was the 30 amp fuse which had blown. we replaced it and the jeep drove about 30 feet and blew it again. Working on some advice from another jeep driver we replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and the jeep drove perfect for two days. Starting on the third day I noticed a hiccup in the jeep's driving, as I was driving the rpms would suddenly drop and the jeep would jerk a little bit. At first I thought I was low on fuel since my gauge isn't that accurate to begin with and we changed the fuel pump. That kept up until yesterday when it blew the fuse again.

The difference is this time the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key rather than after the jeep starts moving. We figure we have a short somewhere but me and my dad really aren't good at electrical so we need some advice.

Thanks in advance!

ThatHumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
JRD917
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i would check for a short in the fuel pump wiring........ take a digital multimeter that gives you a tone when you have continuty and check the power and ground going to the pump you should have low resistance on the ground side and no conitnuity on the hot side worst case try running a jumper wire .... what i mean is from the fuse block to the pump and see if it blows the fuse again if it does then you know its not the wiring adn it is something else in the system

Another thing i would look into is look at a wiring schematic of the fuel system and find out if there is anything else that runs off that fuse ..... you never know something else could be running off the same circurt

I have head of some jeeps when they blow the dome light fuse the jeep wont run !!!! sounds odd but it happens !!
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatHumble View Post
My 94 Jeep Wrangler is currently blowing the 30 amp fuse that controls the fuel system.

Here is a little background on the problem. I was driving in a parking lot when the engine just stopped working. I still had radio/lights ect. We dragged the jeep home to find that it was the 30 amp fuse which had blown. we replaced it and the jeep drove about 30 feet and blew it again. Working on some advice from another jeep driver we replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and the jeep drove perfect for two days. Starting on the third day I noticed a hiccup in the jeep's driving, as I was driving the rpms would suddenly drop and the jeep would jerk a little bit. At first I thought I was low on fuel since my gauge isn't that accurate to begin with and we changed the fuel pump. That kept up until yesterday when it blew the fuse again.

The difference is this time the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key rather than after the jeep starts moving. We figure we have a short somewhere but me and my dad really aren't good at electrical so we need some advice.

Thanks in advance!
OK, some of us will be able to help you out better if we had an idea of what equipment you are running.

what engine do you have?, what tranny? extra factory features? (A/C changes a lot of details..) F.I. or carbed? so on and so forth..

fill out your profile, and you will probably get more and better answers.
Proud owner of 5 jeeps, and certified JEEP Junkie. newest acquisition and current project (read money-pit); 1987 Wrangler Laredo, hard top, leather seats, custom Woodland Camo, 4.2 I6, 5 SP stick, 4X4 (of course).
the_barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if you are equipped with a 2.5L engine, it could be the fuel pump relay. (located on th right side of the battery)

if it is 4.0 FI, the relay is in the PDC. and MIGHT be the culprit here too. hope that helps..
Proud owner of 5 jeeps, and certified JEEP Junkie. newest acquisition and current project (read money-pit); 1987 Wrangler Laredo, hard top, leather seats, custom Woodland Camo, 4.2 I6, 5 SP stick, 4X4 (of course).
Unread 06-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The fuse you speak of powers the Fuel pump relay,ASD relay and battery power to the ECU.
The wire color is pink/yellow.
Best course of action is to visually inspect that wire starting at the PDC.
If that checks out check the orange/black wire that goes to the fuel pump from the fuel pump relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatHumble View Post

Thanks in advance!
fuse.jpg  
Unread 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
ThatHumble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's Jeep info:

Everything is standard from factory
4 cylinder
2.5 liter
No Air conditioning
Fuel Injected

I'll start checking what has been recommended and let you guys know what happens.
ThatHumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
The fuse you speak of powers the Fuel pump relay,ASD relay and battery power to the ECU.
The wire color is pink/yellow.
Best course of action is to visually inspect that wire starting at the PDC.
If that checks out check the orange/black wire that goes to the fuel pump from the fuel pump relay.
where do you get those sweet electrical diagrams from? my Haynes manual leaves something to be desired in that department..
Unread 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speaking for myself, Factory Service Manual pdf's. I bought the FSM from Chrysler, then later found the pdf file online. Nice to have both I guess. I don't have to take the laptop into the grease pit.

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I broke down and paid $15 for a subscription from Mitchell and copied all the wiring diagrams to my hard drive so I won't have to pay again when it runs out.
I agree those Haynes diagrams suck,it's like trying to read a Chinese road map
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_barbarian View Post
where do you get those sweet electrical diagrams from? my Haynes manual leaves something to be desired in that department..
Unread 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just print the one I want and take that to the grease pit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
Speaking for myself, Factory Service Manual pdf's. I bought the FSM from Chrysler, then later found the pdf file online. Nice to have both I guess. I don't have to take the laptop into the grease pit.
Unread 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
ooh,ooh, *jumps up and down in glee* got a link? or is google *really* my friend this time?..

i have had horrid luck finding ANYTHING really useful on google for the last years or so..
Unread 06-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the mods will allow me to link to another Jeep site I can shoot this at you guys.http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=414.0

Disclaimer: I have no fiduciary relationship with nor do I recieve any compensation from 4banger.com Blah Blah Blah but they have some nice things goin on over there....

Edit: I guess you have to register to access that thread. It's free so go for it.

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.