Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

94 Dash in a 87

678 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  volcom3375 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a new dash to replace my rusted and broken dash and it'S from a 94 Jeep Wrangler YJ, i was wondering if someone knew how to convert the cable driven speedometer to electronic, i know it's something in the transfercase....but what exactly...i don't know. and for the instrument gauges instead of a Clock now i have a 4x4 On or off light

can someone tell me what i have to do?? or buy???

Thanks

#2 ·
If you follow the spedo cable down to the transfer case you will find that it screws onto fitting on the left side of the cone on the rear of the transfer case. When you buy a new speedometer you will get a new sending unit. That new sending unit will screw onto the fitting from the transfer case then you will need to connect some wires from the sending unit to the new speedometer.

Here is the new speedometer that I would take a look at.

Auto Meter ATM-5887

#5 · (Edited)
Buy/acquire the new style speedo gear holder unit that plugs into the tcase. The electric sigs for that unit uses 3 wires, +8, gnd, and the output sig line. The +8 comes from the '94 engine computer. When I swapped the motor (and computer) on my '93 I lost that +8 voltage source, just like you don't have it now. I simply used an ign switched +12 and it works fine. I had to do some girations to get the new '02 GM computer to have the sig too (VSS), but you don't have to do that. Here is the connector and the wiring.

#6 ·
I looked on my transfer case and the sensor has 2 output??? one with the cable for my old speedometer and the other one is for....?????

is it an electrical output??? for the speedometer too??? or...another thing???
it only have 2 wires

Thanks for the wiring and connector

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.